Author Topic: Man, 52, appears in court charged with double murder of Fathers 4 Justice ....  (Read 769 times)

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9716517/Man-52-appears-court-charged-double-murder-Fathers-4-Justice-activist-61-wife-29.html

Man, 52, appears in court charged with double murder of Fathers 4 Justice activist, 61, and his wife, 29, in their semi-detached bungalow on Father's Day

Stanley Elliot is accused of killing Geoffrey Hibbert, 61, and wife Michelle, 29
    The couple were killed early on Sunday in their home in Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Elliot appeared at Basingstoke Magistrates Court today charged with murders

By Milly Vincent For Mailonline

Published: 13:21, 23 June 2021 | Updated: 13:21, 23 June 2021

A 52-year-old man today appeared in court charged with murdering a Fathers for Justice protester and his young wife in their home.   Stanley Elliot is accused of killing Geoffrey Hibbert, 61, and 29-year-old wife Michelle in their semi-detached bungalow in Basingstoke, Hampshire, in the early hours of Father's Day Sunday, June 20.  The couple had a young son aged around two living with them, according to locals.  Elliot, from the village of Sherborne St John near Basingstoke, Hampshire, today spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth in a north-eastern accent during a brief hearing.  He was unshaven, balding and dressed in an all grey tracksuit.  District Judge Timothy Patterson told Elliot to speak up if he did not understand anything during the hearing at Basingstoke Magistrates Court.  Elliot's brother also attended court, and the accused waved to his brother in the public gallery of the courtroom after being informed of his presence.  Police have said the victims and Elliot were known to each other.  Flowers were left by shocked neighbours outside the couples' house on the usually quiet Buckland Avenue in Basingstoke, Hampshire.  Police arrested Elliot in the early hours of Sunday morning, and his flat was then searched and forensically examined by police.  A forensics team was also seen searching a garage around 20 metres from Elliot's flat on Monday afternoon, which contained his red motorcycle and another vehicle.  Those living near the Hibberts' address said they had heard 'loud bangs' in the early hours of Sunday morning.  In 2008, Mr Hibbert scaled a gantry on the M25 while dressed as Batman as part of a Fathers 4 Justice protest and unfurled a banner with pictures of his eight-year-old daughter, bringing thousands of cars to a halt.  He was eventually arrested on suspicion of causing danger to road users.  Speaking at the time he said: 'I cannot describe how not being able to see her makes me feel. If I had taken her away I would be in prison for kidnap but my ex-partner can do it and it's fine. Where is the justice?'

Judge Timothy Patterson today committed the case to Winchester Crown Court for a further hearing on Friday June 25.  There was no application for bail and Elliot was remanded in custody.  Last night Chief Inspector Matthew Reeves of Hampshire police said: 'This is a shocking incident, and I understand that members of the local community will be concerned.  We have a number of officers working hard at the scene, and there will be an increased police presence in the area.  I want to reiterate that we believe all parties involved are known to each other and that there is no known threat to the wider community.'