Author Topic: Royals hit BACK: 'NO member of staff or Royal family were approached for ....  (Read 683 times)

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11516651/Royals-hit-Harry-Meghans-Netflix-series.html

Royals hit BACK: 'NO member of staff or Royal family were approached for comment', palace source reveals after Harry and Meghan's bombshell Netflix series opened with claims they DECLINED to address its accusations

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex discuss Megxit, racism and their new life in series rocking Royal Family
    First three episodes are steaming now, with second volume of three set to be released on Netflix on Dec 15
    In episode 1: Prince Harry and Meghan film themselves on the day they quit as frontline royals in March 2020
    In episode 2: Duke of Sussex compares his wife to his mother Diana and says she was being hunted by media
    In episode 3: Harry and Meghan have branded their engagement in 2017 was an 'orchestrated reality show'
    Prince Harry and Meghan Markle news LIVE: Follow all the Royal Family news and developments here

By Martin Robinson, Chief Reporter

Published: 12:13, 8 December 2022 | Updated: 14:21, 8 December 2022

The Royal Family today delivered a devastating blow to the credibility of Meghan and Harry's Netflix documentary.  A Buckingham Palace source has disputed the Sussexes' claims that the royals had refused to co-operate with their six-part series released exactly three months after the death of the Queen.  Meghan and Harry today used their $100million deal with the streaming giant to launch fresh swipes at the Royal Family and Britain in shows being described as transatlantic 'TV bombs' hurled at The Firm.  Episode one began with a pointed attack on Buckingham Palace with a statement on screen claiming: 'Members of the Royal Family declined to comment on the content within this series'.

But hours after the first three episodes began streaming, royal officials in London insisted they were never asked to respond at all.  The source was clear that neither Buckingham Palace, Kensington Palace nor any member of the family were approached for comment on the content of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's Netflix series.  The insider added that, for now, there will be no official comment from the King or the Prince of Wales on its incendiary contents, including allegations of racism and 'unconscious bias’s and a series of barbs aimed at Charles, William, Kate Middleton, and other royals.

Harry claims he was 'brought up by friends in Africa' in fresh attack on Charles.
    Meghan and Harry shared pictures from Archie's first birthday party.
    The couple revealed what really happened on their first date.
    The Sussexes shared unseen photos with their beloved dogs.
    Meghan lifts the lid on her 'amazing' first Christmas at Sandringham.
    Netflix show is branded a 'TV bomb' for the royal family.

As part of their $100million deal with Netflix, the privacy-conscious couple have handed over a trove of pictures and video from their relationship including the moment Harry proposed in 2017 and filming himself in the VIP lounge at Heathrow as he emigrated in March 2020.  The first three episodes contain a series of barbs that will upset his father King Charles III, including Harry's claim that he was 'literally brought up' by a 'second family' in Africa where he chose to spend three-month stints in his late teens and twenties as he came to terms with his mother's death.  Harry also describes a 'huge level of unconscious bias’s in the Royal Family with reference to Princess Michael of Kent wearing an offensive Blackamoor-style brooch in front of his wife at Buckingham Palace.   There is also a suggestion that the UK is racist and more obsessed with race than the US, with Meghan declaring that she 'wasn't really treated like a black woman' until she came to Britain.  And in a swipe at the choice of wives by his male relatives, viewed as an attack on his father and other senior royals, perhaps even his brother William, Harry insisted that his decision to marry Meghan sets him apart from his family because it was 'from his heart' and not because she 'would fit the mould'.  He said his wife being an American actress 'clouded' his family's view of her and they believed it wouldn't last.  The Duke of Sussex said: 'I think for so many people in the family, especially obviously the men, there can be a temptation or an urge to marry someone who would fit the mould as opposed to somebody who you perhaps are destined to be with. The difference between making decisions with your head, or your heart. And my mum certainly made most of her decisions if not all of them - from her heart. And I am my mother's son'.

There will also be some aspects of the series that will likely anger Prince William, including his younger brother's decision to use a clip from their mother's BBC interview with Martin Bashir, which the Prince of Wales said should never be shown again after she was duped into taking part. Justifying the decision, Harry told his documentary: 'She felt compelled to talk about it. Especially in that Panorama interview. I think we all now know that she was deceived into giving the interview, but at the same time she spoke the truth of her experience'.

Meghan also hits out at the formality of the royals, describing meeting the Prince and Princess of Wales wearing torn jeans and bare feet. Discussing what happened, she said: 'I was a hugger. I've always been a hugger; I didn't realise that that is really jarring for a lot of Brits'.

She also admits to being baffled by the 'formality' of meeting the Queen for the first time, claiming she thought Harry was 'joking' when she learned she had to bow or curtsey and comparing her first meal at Windsor to a 'Medieval Times, Dinner and Tournament'.  The highly anticipated series is being put out in two parts, with the first three episodes of the six-part docu-series now available to stream online.  The series contains tears from Meghan, who Harry repeatedly compares to Princess Diana claiming that both his mother and wife were being hunted by the press.  Meghan also claims that as an American she found the 'formality' of being in the royal family 'surprising' - declaring that meeting the Queen for the first time was a 'shock to the system'. She said Harry had told her in the car: 'You know how to curtsy, right?' And I just thought it was a joke', she said.

They also discuss Princess Michael of Kent a Blackamoor-style brooch to a pre-Christmas event the Duchess of Sussex attended in 2017. She was forced to apologise.  Harry said: 'In this family sometimes your part of the problem rather than part of the solution. And there is a huge level of unconscious bias. The thing with unconscious bias is actually no one's fault.'

Meghan adds: 'Obviously now everyone is aware of my race because they made it such an issue when I went to the UK. Before then. I wasn't really treated like a black woman'.

Harry claims that his family had dismissed her when they found out she was an American actress - but he insisted he knew in his 'heart' he would marry her because he is his 'mother's son'.

In episode one, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex begin by filming themselves on the day they ended their royal duties in March 2020, with Harry in the VIP lounge at Heathrow as he flew to Canada. Meghan cries with a towel on her head as she declares: 'I don't even know where to begin'.

Viewers pointed out this footage was captured six months before their $100million deal with Netflix was signed in September 2020.  The privacy-conscious couple have given extraordinary access to the streaming giant, including a treasure trove of pictures and footage from their private lives including of their children.   There are also private texts and emails they shared at the time of their courtship. Meghan's mother Doria also speaks publicly about their relationship for the first time.  The first three episodes also cover Harry's birth and upbringing, and he blames the media for the failure of his previous relationships. The Sussexes then describe how they get together, their engagement and then quitting as frontline royals.  The Duke and Duchess of Sussex discuss Megxit, racism and their new life in California. It also begins with a pointed comment that the Royal Family declined to comment on allegations in the show and reveals it was completed in August 2022 before the death of the Queen.  Episode one begins with Harry filming himself at Heathrow Airport in March 2020 as he finishes his final royal engagements before emigrating. His wife, in Vancouver, breaks down on her bed as she says: 'I don't even know where to begin'.

The show opened with words written in white on a black background which said: 'This is a first-hand account of Harry & Meghan's story, told with never-before-seen personal archive. All interviews were completed by August 2022. Members of the royal family declined to comment on the content within this series.'

The opening scenes of the first episode show an airport with a close-up of a departures sign while piano music plays over the footage.  It then cuts to Harry and words on the screen tell viewers he is in the Windsor Suite at Heathrow Airport in March 2020.  He appears to be filming himself speaking into his phone camera and says: 'Hi. So, we're here on Wednesday the something of March.  We've just finished our two weeks, our like final push, our last stint of royal engagements.  'It's really hard to look back on it now and go 'what on earth happened'? Like, how did we end up here?'

As Harry speaks, images of the couple flash on screen, followed by newspaper headlines and broadcasters' audio from coverage about their decision to step back from royal life.  The first episode then shifts to what appears to be phone footage, filmed vertically, showing Vancouver Island, Canada.  Meghan appears with a towel wrapped around her hair, appearing to speak into her phone camera, saying: 'H is in London and I'm here.'

She shakes her head and says: 'I don't even know where to begin.'

The first episode of Harry & Meghan cuts to London in July 2016 and Harry can be heard saying that is when they met.  Meghan said another season of Suits was confirmed and she had plans to travel with friends having been 'single for a couple of months'.  The episode features an interview with Meghan's friend Lindsay Jill Roth, who says: 'In the summer of 2016 she had a few different trips planned and she was just going to be free.'

This part of the episode features photos of Meghan with friends including Jessica Mulroney.  Meghan said: 'I was really intent on being single and just have fun girl-time.'

Another friend called Lucy Fraser tells the documentary: 'She had planned her single-girl summer and she had a lot of plans of going around Europe.'

It cuts to Meghan who says: 'I had a career. I had my life. I had my path and then came H.  I mean, he literally, talk about a plot twist.'

Harry said he first spotted Meghan on a friend's Instagram.  He said: 'I was scrolling through my feed and someone who was a friend had this video of the two of them, it was like a Snapchat.'

An image of Meghan with the popular dog ears filter is then shown.  Harry said: 'That was the first thing. I was like 'who is that?''

Meghan said the friend then sent her an email, the words of which are typed out on the screen, saying: 'Between you and I thought you might want to know this being newly single and all. I put our Snapchat on Instagram and Prince Haz follows me (he's a friend) he called me last night dying to meet you. hehehe. I might just have to set you up' (sic).

Meghan's reply, which was also typed out on screen, was: 'Who is prince haz?????'

Below her reply to viewers can see the words: 'Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse all technological mishaps. I'm a Luddite'.

Meghan said she asked her friend who had contacted her about Harry if she could see his social media feed.  Speaking in the first episode, Meghan said: 'That's the thing. People say, 'did you Google him?' No. That's your homework you’re like 'let me see what they're about in their feed', not what someone else says about them, but what they are putting out about themselves.  That, to me, was the best barometer. So I went through and it was just like beautiful photography and all these environmental shots and this time he was spending in Africa.'

Harry said they then got each other’s numbers.  'We were just constantly in touch,' he said, adding that they decided to meet.

The Duke of Sussex has said his wife being an American actress 'clouded' his family's view of her.  Meghan, talking about meeting the Queen during episode two of their Netflix documentary, said: 'I didn't know what I was doing.'

Harry went on: 'I remember my family first meeting her and being incredibly impressed, some of them didn't quite know what to do with themselves.  Because I think they were surprised. They were surprised that a ginger could land such a beautiful woman and such an intelligent woman.  But the fact that I was dating an American actress was probably what clouded their judgment more than anything else at the beginning, 'oh she's an American actress; this won't last'.'

Meghan added: 'The actress thing was the biggest problem, funnily enough. There is a big idea of what that looks like from the UK standpoint Hollywood and it's just very easy for them to typecast that.'

Meghan lifts the lid on meeting the Queen and the Royal family for the first time

Meghan has today lifted the lid on what it was truly like to meet the Royal Family as she compared her first encounter with the Queen to a themed dinner at America's 'Medieval Times'.  The Duchess of Sussex described the pomp and ceremony of meeting the senior members of the Royal Family as part of Harry and Meghan's explosive Netflix documentary, which saw the first three episodes released on Thursday.  In it, the 41-year-old described her first 'amazing' Christmas at Sandringham, where she was sat next to the late Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip.  And she recounted the 'intense' moment of meeting Her Majesty for the first time during a lunch at the Royal Lodge in Windsor, joking that the whole occasion felt like an antiquated banquet at Medieval Times, a family dinner theatre in the US featuring staged medieval-style games, sword-fighting, and jousting.  The Queen was the first senior member of the Royal Family that Meghan met after she and Prince Harry announced their relationship in 2016.  'She had no idea what it all consisted of,' Harry tells the docu-series, as he sits with his arm around his wife. 'So, it was a bit of a shock to the system for her.'

Grinning, Meghan added: 'I mean. it's surreal. There wasn't like some big moment of 'Now you're gonna meet my grandmother'.  I didn't know I was going to meet her until moments before. We were in the car and we were going to the Royal Lodge for lunch, and he [Harry] was like, 'Oh, my grandmother is here, she's gonna be there after church.'.  I remember we were in the car, driving and he's [Harry] like, 'You know how to curtsy, right?'. And I just thought it was a joke.'

The duke continued: 'How do you explain that to people? How do you explain that you bow to your grandmother? And that you would need to curtsy, especially to an American. That's weird.'

Meghan then tells the documentary: 'Now I'm starting to realise this is a big deal. I mean, American's will understand this. We have Medieval Times dinner and tournament. It was like that. Like, I curtsied as though I was like 'Pleasure to meet you your Majesty.'  It was so intense. And then when she left, Eugenie and Jack and Fergie say 'you did great!'. Thanks. I didn't know what I was doing.'

Meghan and Harry's Netflix documentary is out today and begins with an attack on Buckingham Palace's decision not to co-operate with the series that declares a fresh war on the Royal Family and the media.  The highly anticipated series is being put out in two parts, with the first three episodes of the six-part docu-series now available to stream.  The series contains tears from Meghan, who Harry repeatedly compares to Princess Diana claiming that both his mother and wife were being hunted by the press.   There are also a series of jibes at his father, King Charles III, and brother Prince William as well as speaking about alleged racism and 'unconscious bias’s in the Royal Family.  During the second episode, Meghan speaks about the 'formality' of the royals behind closed doors, saying she was 'surprised' by this.  'I was a hugger always being a hugger I didn't realise that that is really jarring for a lot of Brits,' she added.

'I guess I started to understand very quickly that the formality on the outside carried through on the inside.  That there is a forward-facing way of being. And then you close the door and you are like (sighs) 'Oh great. Okay, we can relax now'. But that formality carries over on both sides. And that was surprising to me.'

Recalling her first Christmas at Sandringham, Meghan said she found it 'amazing' as she was 'with a big family like I always wanted.'

'I remember so vividly the first Christmas at Sandringham,' Meghan said. 'Calling my mom, and she's like, 'How's it going?' and I said, 'Oh my gosh, it's amazing. It's just like a big family like I always wanted'.'

And she recounted a lighter moment with the late-Prince Philip, who she sat next to during the royal festive lunch.   'There was just this constant movement, energy and fun,' she added, 'and at dinner I was sat next to H's grandfather and I just thought it was so wonderful and I was like ''we chatted about this and this'' and he [Harry] was like ''you had his bad ear he couldn't hear anything you were saying'' and I was like ''oh well I though it went really well.'

The Royal Family seemed 'incredibly impressed' with Meghan during the early days of their relationship, added Prince Harry.  But the Duke also claimed his family thought the relationship with the former Suits actress would never last.  'I remember my family first meeting her and being incredibly impressed. Some of them didn't quite know what to do with themselves... They were surprised that the ginger could land such a beautiful woman. And such an intelligent woman.  But the fact I was dating an American actress, was probably what clouded their judgment more than anything else in the beginning: 'Oh, she's an American actress, this won't last'.

Meghan added: 'The actress thing was the biggest problem, funnily enough. There is a big idea of what that looks like from the UK standpoint Hollywood and it's just very easy for them to typecast that.'

Elsewhere in the third episode, the Duchess of Sussex said she didn't know what a royal walkabout was - where royals meet members of the public who have gathered on the streets before going on her first one.  'I never saw pictures or videos of a walkabout. Like, what's a walkabout?' she said.

Harry explained: 'I could talk her through as much as I knew from my own experience of what I'd seen. The piece I really didn't know about was the style, right, and what a woman needed to, how they needed to dress and all that.'

Meghan added that before her first walkabout in Nottingham, her zip broke on her ensemble and had to be safety pinned, to which Harry said: 'The whole thing was just ridiculous.'

The duke recalled: 'Everybody was just so excited and pleased and happy. And I think people looked at it and went, 'Wow, what a breath of fresh air'.

Netflix teases new Harry and Meghan bombshells in trailer for final three episodes of docuseries

Netflix has teased the final three episodes of Harry and Meghan's explosive documentary.  A 30-second preview at the end of the third volume depicts the fallout from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's extraordinary decision to quit royal duties and plunge The Firm into crisis.  Harry is seen saying in an interview: 'There was no other option at this point. I said, ''we need to get outta here'''.

The first three episodes are streaming now, with the second volume of three set to be released next Thursday.   During the trailer, Meghan says: 'This is when a family and a family business are in direct conflict.'

The preview then cuts to images of the duchess appearing tearful, while another image shows Harry rubbing his face as a pregnant Meghan walks past.   The former Suits actress narrates: 'Suddenly, what clicked in my head was, ''it's never gonna stop'''.

In another part, the duke says: 'Everything that's happened to us was always gonna happen to us.'

Doria Ragland speaks out for the first time

Meghan Markle's mother reveals her ongoing support for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex by taking a surprise starring role in the couple's new Netflix series.  Doria Ragland, 66, who lives in LA and has maintained a close relationship with the couple and her grandchildren, appears in all three episodes released by the streaming giant today.  Intimate family photos show the grandmother to Archie, three, and Lilibet, one, celebrating key milestones including Archie's first birthday.  And in the first half of the second episode, Doria takes centre stage, saying she's now ready for her voice to be heard on the couple's story and revealing how she felt when the world first learned her daughter was dating her a prince.  She tells the series she wanted to share 'a little bit of my experience as her mom’ including how she raised the Duchess 'with a network of women'.

In the first half of the much-anticipated six-part series, the couple aired footage that they began filming in March 2020, in the days after their final royal engagements.  This is the first time Doria has spoken so freely to camera about her daughter's relationship - showing just how close she remains to the duke and duchess.  She also reveals she instantly knew Prince Harry was 'The One' for her daughter from their first meeting.   Speaking straight to camera, the mother was quizzed by producers about the first time her daughter told her about her new royal romance back in 2016.  Recalling their phone conversation, Doria says Meghan who was starring as Rachel Zane in Suits at the time whispered: 'Mommy, I'm going out with Prince Harry.'

Doria said: 'I started whispering [and said] 'oh my god!'

During that first call, Meghan told her mother she needed to keep her relationship a secret.  She explained: 'From the beginning, it was very sort of nobody could know.'

Doria then went on to share her first impressions of her son-in-law - but didn't reveal where or when the meeting took place.  She continued: 'He was this 6'1 handsome man with red hair, [he had] great manners. He was just really nice. They look really happy together.  He was The One.'

Meghan Markle claims she was a 'daddy's girl' growing up as Harry declares: 'She doesn't have a father'

Meghan Markle has insisted she was a 'daddy's girl' growing up as she recited her childhood poem about divorce in her new Netflix docu-series where Harry said: 'She doesn't have a father.'

In the second episode of their new £88m Netflix series, the Duchess of Sussex, 41, explained how she lived with her mother Doria Ragland, 66, during the week before spending her weekends with her father Thomas Markle, 78.  Former makeup artist Doria and ex-cameraman Thomas met on the set of General Hospital and married in 1979 before then separating when Meghan was six years old.  Describing herself as a 'daddy's girl' as a child, Meghan said: 'I do remember feeling lonely as a kid and wanting to have more people around.'

This then prompted the Duchess to write about her experience as a child of divorced parents when she was 12 years old and a student at Immaculate Heart school in LA.  She explained: 'One of the assignments was to write a poem about your life and I remember this poem to this day.’

Reciting it word-for-word, Meghan began: 'Two houses, two homes, two kitchens, two phones.  Two coaches where I lay, two places where I stay. Moving, moving here and there, from Monday to Friday, I'm everywhere.   Don't get me wrong, it's not that bad but often times it makes me sad. I want to live that nuclear life with a happy dad and his loving wife.  A picket fence, a shaggy dog, a fireplace with a burning log. But it's not real, it's just a dream, I cannot cry or even scream.  So here I sit with cat number three, life would be easy if there were two of me.'

She then proceeded to share a home movie clip from 1993 from when she took a fishing trip with her estranged father Thomas Markle.  She added: 'My dad lived alone; he had two adult children who had moved out of his house.  I was a daddy's girl my whole life and I was with him a lot.'

After Thomas was unable to travel from his home in Mexico to Windsor for the couple's 2018 wedding, the Duchess of Sussex wrote a letter to her father asking for him to stop giving press interviews.  The 78-year-old claims he has never met his grandchildren Archie, three and Lili, one.  Elsewhere in the clip, Prince Harry opens about the effect Princess Diana and Prince Charles' divorce had on him.  He explained: 'I think most children who are the product of divorced parents have a lot in common - no matter what your background is.  Being pulled from one place to another or maybe your parents are competitive, or you're in one place longer than you want to be and you're in another less than you want to be.  There’re all sorts of piece to that.'

Meghan Markle reveals she was 'bare foot' and wearing ripped jeans when she first met Prince William and Kate

Meghan Markle revealed she was 'bare foot' and wearing ripped jeans when she first met Prince William and Kate.  The Duchess of Sussex, 41, admitted she didn't realise the 'formality' carries through behind closed doors and revealed she is a ‘hugger' which she didn't realise was 'jarring for some Brits.'

In the explosive new Netflix docuseries Harry & Meghan admitted she was 'surprised' that there is a 'forward facing way of being and then you close the door.'

She said: 'Even when Will and Kate came over and I was meeting her for the first time I remember I was in ripped jeans, I was bare foot, like I was a hugger, I have always been a hugger I didn't realise that is really jarring for a lot of Brits.'

'I started to understand that the formality on the outside carried through on the inside, that there is a forward-facing way of being and then you close the door and thing OK we can relax now, but that formality carries over on both sides and that was surprising to me.'

The couple had been reported to have tried to push it back to 2023 despite the streaming giant paying them a rumoured $100million (£88million) for the fly-on-the-wall series.   There have been mixed reports, with the royals reportedly 'at odds' with the production staff on their Netflix docuseries because the 'panicked' couple want to make 'such extensive edits' that the team believe the project could be 'shelved indefinitely'.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
King Charles and Prince William are poised to issue a 'swift and robust' response to any unjust claims in Harry and Meghan's series, but William and his wife Kate are not likely to watch it themselves, sources have said. 

Prince Harry says Meghan and Diana are 'so alike' as Netflix series shows touching moment Archie looks at a portrait of his late grandmother 

One of the most touching moments viewers of Harry and Meghan's new Netflix series are privy to is seeing the couple's son cooing over a photo of his late grandmother, Princess Diana.  The emotional footage, shown in the opening episode of the new £100 million series today, sees Archie, now three, as a baby touching a black and white portrait of Princess Diana.   Meghan is seen pointing to the picture of Diana on the wall of their Montecito home to a baby Archie saying: 'That's grandma Diana.'

The couple say that they're determined to keep the late royal's memory alive for their children as Harry also reveals in the first episode how he felt the British public 'swept him up' following his mother's untimely death in August 1997, and says Meghan is 'so similar' to his late mother.  However, while the Duke of Sussex says his own childhood was 'filled with laughter, filled with happiness and filled with adventure', he admits that he's bereft of memories of his mother.

He told series makers: 'I don't have many early memories of my mum. It was almost like internally I've blocked them out. But I always remember her laugh, her cheeky laugh.  And she always said to me if you get into trouble just don't get caught. And I'll always be that cheeky person inside.'

In the first three episodes of the series, which was released globally at 8am this morning, Prince Harry talks frequently of his late mother, saying the royal, who was killed in 1997, is 'so similar' to his wife.  He told the series: 'So much of who Meghan is, is so similar to my mum.  She has the same compassion, empathy and confidence she has this warmth about her.'

The royal also spoke about his 'private' grief for his mother, saying that he mourned her loss in private and had to be 'stoic' and claimed he had to 'wear two hats' after her untimely death in 1997 when he was aged 12.  He added: 'The UK literally swept me and William up as their children.’

But he said: 'The expectation to see me and William out and about was really hard for the two of us.'

The duke lifted the lid on his own initial fears about marrying, saying he feared history would repeat itself.  Harry revealed he was 'scared of Meghan getting driven away by the press' and that many of his relationships didn't last more than a few months.  Sharing details of the early days of the relationship saying: 'You can see the suffering of the women who marry into this institution, when I got to meet M I didn't want her to be driven away, so at the beginning I knew to make this work I had to keep it as quiet as possible'

Meghan went on to say: 'At the beginning our relationship was a treasure, it was relaxed and easy'.

Harry and Meghan wore penguin costumes to their engagement party but have they changed their story about how they met?

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have revealed intimate details about the early days of their relationship in their new Netflix documentary - including how they used disguises and enjoyed a private engagement party.  The duke, 38, and Duchess of Sussex, 41, who are now based in the US with their children Archie, three, and Lilibet, one, opened up about their pre-marriage life on the six-part docuseries, with the first three episodes released today.  Meghan revealed how she had planned a hot girl summer in 2016 - but Harry was the 'plot twist' when they encountered each other in July, with the prince revealing that the couple met over Instagram.  However, this snippet shared by the couple in episode one, was in contrast to the 'how we met story' they previously shared, according to royal fans.  The first picture Prince Harry ever saw of his future wife was a snap of Meghan with a Snapchat dog filter on. They then talked over FaceTime for some time as they got to know each other.  Harry said: 'Meghan and I met over Instagram. I was scrolling through my feed and someone who was a friend had this video of the two of them.'

'Oh gosh, isn't that whole thing, it's got like doggy ears,' a laughing Meghan said, before Harry added: 'That was the first thing, 'I was like who is that?'. His wife continued: 'That's ridiculous.'

Harry messaged their common friend, and they mentioned it to Meghan, who stalked the Prince's Instagram feed to see 'what he was about'.  However, the couple have previously claimed they met on a blind date. In 2017 Harry told the BBC: 'It was definitely a set-up it was a blind date. It was a blind date for sure.'

Viewers questioned the variation, with one person writing on Twitter: 'Harry and Meghan are remarkably bad at remembering which lies they have told.'

Elsewhere, Harry, 38, who is now based in Montecito, LA, with his wife and their two children, admitted to being late on their first date which took place at 76 Dean Street in Soho, as the couple shared text messages and other details about how they got together before the world knew.  Harry and Meghan also talked about how they used disguises in order to keep their relationship private and revealed they had a private engagement party in 2017 where the duo and their friends wore animal onesies.  In never-before-seen snaps from the romantic proposal Harry is captured down on one knee surrounded by candles as he holds a ring in his hand.  The prince is kneeling on a blanket in the garden next to Meghan's adorable pooch and a large bouquet of white roses.  Harry said: 'I wanted to do it earlier, because I needed to ask permission from my grandmother, I couldn't do it outside of the UK.  I popped a bottle of champagne while she was roasting a chicken and that kind of slightly gave the game away, she was like 'you never drink champaign what's the occasion' and I was like I don't know, just had it lying around.'

Meghan quipped 'it was a magnum' before bursting into laughter.

Harry revealed he got 15 electric candles and placed them around the walled garden of their home to propose to Meghan.  In a candid clip, Meghan calls her friend Jess in excitement and whispered down the phone: 'Oh my god Jess. It's happening. He told me not to peek.'

However, in contrast, talking about how the news was given to the world in episode three, Harry and Meghan branded their engagement announcement in 2017 an 'orchestrated reality show'

In the opening segment, Meghan claims, 'we've never been allowed to tell our story until now', before Harry agrees: 'We've never been allowed to tell our story, that's the consistency.'

Elsewhere, the couple shared glimpses of their long-distance relationship with Harry and Meghan talking over FaceTime in the early stages.   One snap showed Meghan in bed with her computer, plastered with selfies of her and Harry and her dog by her side.  Another intimate snap showed Harry gazing lovingly at Meghan during a Facetime session.   Elsewhere, the couple were filmed reminiscing about their first date in a sneak peak of the show released as the first three episodes dropped on Netflix today.  'You were late,' Meghan laughed, saying Harry kept messaging her, writing: 'I'm stuck in traffic, I'm so sorry, I am in traffic, I am sorry'.'

Harry added he was 'panicking, I was freaking out, I was so sweaty.' Meghan said waiting alone for him to show up left her wondering: 'is this what he does, this I'm not doing.'

She said she wondered if he was 'one of the guys who has so much of an ego that any girl would wait and sit around for 30 minutes for you'. 'I was not interested in that,' she added.

But her doubts were proved wrong when Harry actually showed up. 'When I walked in, I was hot and sweaty and a red ball of mash,' he said.

Meghan laughed and recounted how Harry was 'genuinely like so embarrassed you were late.'

The couple also shared a picture of their second date, which took place at Soho House.   Meanwhile, the couple also discuss keeping their relationship private during the first few months.  They share a number of clips and snaps from the period, including one showing Prince Harry larking about with some swans.  The clip, which was filmed by Meghan, shows the pair relaxed and enjoying their time together before their relationship became public.  In one highly personal photograph of the couple from the period, Meghan and Harry can be seen enjoying a kiss with one another.  In another intimate revelation in episode one, Meghan and Harry opened about their week together in Botswana at the beginning of their relationship.  Meghan said: 'So I had one week off [work] and it was the same week, so he said do you want to come to Botswana? I said let me think about it and then I did.'

Harry admitted he was 'astonished that she said yes' as he had only met Meghan twice at that point.  He said: 'This woman that I have only met twice, she's coming to Botswana, and we are going to be living in a tent for 10 days.'

Meghan admitted: 'I am getting on a plane, and we are living in the middle of a bush, what, like what if we don't like each other and then we are stuck in the middle of a bush in a tent.'

'So, I get there, this is the first time I have seen him in a month, we are awkward at first, do we kiss, do we hug, and I just remember he handed me a chicken sandwich.’

Harry continued: 'Then we jumped in a land cruiser and off we went. We were sitting next to each other and then we were holding hands and then we squeezed in a kiss, and everything felt natural. We had to get to know each other before the rest of the world knew.'

Speaking in the first episode of the docuseries, Meghan's friend Lindsay Jill Roth said that in the summer of 2016 Meghan 'had a few different trips planned, and she was just going to be free.'

Prince Harry revealed the first time he saw a picture of Meghan was a snap of her with a dog filter on.   'Meghan and I met over Instagram. I was scrolling through my feed and someone who was a friend had this video of the two of them, like a Snapchat,' he recalled.

'Oh gosh, isn't that whole thing, it's got like doggy ears,' Meghan said, laughing.

'That was the first thing, 'I was like who is that?',' Harry said, with Meghan adding: 'That's ridiculous.'

This set things in motion with Harry messaging their common friend to get to Meghan.  Meghan admitted she had planned a single girl summer and 'had a career life and a path and then came H.'

'She sent me an email,' Meghan said as the text of the message rolled out on screen.

'Between you and I thought you might want to know this being newly single and all.  I put our snapchat on Instagram and Prince Haz follows me (he's a friend) he called me last night dying to meet you. I just might have to set you up,' the message read.

Meghan admitted she asked to see the royal feed: 'So that's the thing. People say, 'did you Google him?' 'No.'

'But that's your homework. You're like 'Hmm let me see what they're about in their feed, not what someone else says about them but what they are putting out about themselves.' That to me was the best barometre,' she explained.

'Then we got each other's numbers. We were just constantly in touch, and I went 'let's meet',' Harry added. 

A friend of Meghan named Silver Tree said that Meghan texted her saying: 'Silver you're not gonna believe this. And basically told me that she was going out on a date with him.  We thought it was really funny. Like 'In what world does this happen?',' she said.

Reflecting on why he fell for the Hollywood actress, Harry said: 'I'm my mother's son - I make decisions from my heart not my head.'

He added: 'I just opened my heart to see what's going to happen.

Harry reflected on the 'unhealthy' way in which the love story started.  'Dating became a combination of car crashes, multi surveillance driving and disguises which isn't particularly a healthy way to start a relationship,' he said.

But Meghan added the couple were also 'relaxed and easy' in the early days of getting serious with one another.  'It was just relaxed and easy. We just got top know each other. Truly, it was like any other couple: 'what do you like to eat, what do you like to cook, what movies do you like?'

The son of Princess Diana also admitted that his experience with past relationships left him unsure of whether he wanted to pursue a new one.  'Every relationship that I had, weeks or months, were splattered over the newspapers, the person and their family harassed, their lives turned upside down, by the third or fourth girlfriend, I didn't know if I wanted this,' he admitted.

'So, when I got to meet 'M', I was terrified of her being driven away from me by the media, the media who had turned away so many people away from me.  I knew that the only way it could work was to keep it secret for as long as possible,' he added.

The couple were filmed reminiscing about their first date in a sneak peak of the show released as the first three episodes dropped on Netflix today.   'You were late,' Meghan laughed, saying Harry kept messaging her, writing: 'I'm stuck in traffic, I'm so sorry, I am in traffic, I am sorry'.'

Harry added he was 'panicking, I was freaking out, I was so sweaty.'

Meghan said waiting alone for him to show up left her wondering: 'is this what he does, this I'm not doing.'

She said she wondered if he was 'one of the guys who has so much of an ego that any girl would wait and sit around for 30 minutes for you.  I was not interested in that,' she added.

But her doubts were proved wrong when Harry actually showed up.   'When I walked in, I was hot and sweaty and a red ball of mash,' he said.

Meghan laughed and recounted how Harry was: 'genuinely like so embarrassed you were late.'

After their relationship became serious, the couple got engaged in 2017, and kept the news quiet for a few weeks before it was announced to the world.  A friend recalled how Harry and Meghan threw an engagement party with their friends.  'We had a little engagement part and everyone was dressed in animal onesies,' she said.

'And Meghan and Harry were in matching penguin onesies because penguins’ mate for life. And they were so sweet,' she added.

Meghan Markle's niece Ashleigh says she was BANNED from the royal wedding because of her estranged mother Samantha and claims Palace tried to keep her apart from Duchess

Meghan Markle's niece has slammed her estranged mother Samantha Markle as the reason she was banned from the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's wedding after speaking out for the first time in their new bombshell documentary.  Ashleigh Hale, 37, also sensationally claimed that her aunt's relationships were being 'managed' by Buckingham Palace after getting involved with Prince Harry.  In another thinly veiled attack on Buckingham Palace, it is suggested that Meghan's relationships with friends and close family were being 'monitored' by those inside the Firm.  The business immigration attorney, who is thought to have been her inspiration in Suits, claims that she was not allowed to attend the star-studded bash in 2018.  Speaking for the first time about their 'close' relationship on the Netflix documentary, Ashleigh said that she was 'hurt' by the decision to ban her from the wedding.  She said: 'I think I said I was hurt on some level, but I understood where it was coming from.  To know that it was because of my biological mother that this relationship, that's so important to me, was impacted in that way. I feel like because of her, it was taken away. It's been hard.'

Both Ashleigh and Meghan opened up about their relationship, with her father Thomas Markle connecting the two via email initially.  As part of their $100million deal with Netflix, the privacy-conscious couple have handed over a trove of pictures and video from their relationship.  These included snaps of Meghan with Ashleigh on a trip to New Orleans before she met Harry, as well as Meghan standing by Ashleigh's side on her wedding day.  The two women grew close after Meghan emailed her niece, with Ashleigh claiming there were 'long emails' back and forth several days a week.

From their engagement evening to snaps at home with the kids: The HIGHLY intimate moments Harry and Meghan shared

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Netflix's docuseries is filled with intimate moments that the couple have decided to share with the public.  The Montecito-based Duke and Duchess of Sussex have lifted the life on their relationship, from its early days spent exchanging dates to their married life and life as parents.  They've opened about their first date in Soho in London, to which Prince Harry, 38, showed up late, and their engagement, where an excited Meghan called a friend to say it was 'happening.'  Here, Femail has compiled some of the intimate moments the couple have decided to share with the public.  In the explosive documentary, Harry claims he was 'brought up by friends in Africa' in jibe at Charles and says Royal family is 'part of the problem' as Netflix show brands Britain 'racist' -and shows Meghan taking aim at 'formal' Kate and William

FaceTimes

The couple met over Instagram, with the first picture Prince Harry ever saw of his future wife being a snap of Meghan with a Snapchat dog filter on. They then talked over FaceTime for some time as they got to know each other.   The docuseries' first episode shares glimpses of their long-distance relationship with Harry and Meghan talking over FaceTime.  One snap showed Meghan in bed with her computer, plastered with selfies of her and Harry and her dog by her side.  Another intimate snap showed Harry gazing lovingly at Meghan during a Facetime session.

Engagement 

In never-before-seen snaps from the romantic proposal Harry captured down on one knee surrounded by candles as he holds a ring in his hand.  The prince is kneeling on a blanket in the garden next to Meghan's adorable pooch and a large bouquet of white roses.  Harry said: 'I wanted to do it earlier, because I needed to ask permission from my grandmother, I couldn't do it outside of the UK.  I popped a bottle of champagne while she was roasting a chicken and that kind of slightly gave the game away, she was like 'you never drink campaign what's the occasion' and I was like I don't know just had it lying around.'

Meghan quipped 'it was a magnum' before bursting into laughter.'

Harry revealed he got 15 electric candles and placed them around the walled garden of their home to propose to Meghan.  In a candid clip Meghan calls her friend Jess in exciting and whispered down the phone 'oh my god Jess. It's happening. He told me not to peek.'

Meghan showing baby Grandma Diana

In the first episode of the documentary, The Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry shared how they keep 'Grandma Diana's' memory alive for their children.  Meghan appears to film her young son as she shows the little boy a photograph of Princess Diana.  Meghan is seen pointing to a picture of Diana on the wall of their Montecito home to a baby Archie saying: 'That's grandma Diana.' 

Pregnancy with Lilibet

A snap shared in Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's explosive Netflix docuseries shares a sweet glimpse of her pregnancy with Lilibet in 2021.  In a sweet picture shared in one of the first three episodes released today, viewers can see a pregnant Meghan relaxing on a bed at home in Montecito, California, with her son Archie while she is pregnant with her second child.

The couple announced Meghan was expecting on Valentine's Day in 2021 with another intimate picture of their in their garden and Archie.  Their daughter was born on first July last year and celebrated her first birthday in London with the Queen.

Meghan kisses Archie on the lips

Meghan's close bond with her young son is evident throughout the documentary, with lots of clips and snaps showing the two snuggling and playing together.  However, there is one particularly intimate moment, which shows the Duchess scooping her son up to give him a kiss on the lips.  The royal mother-of-two can be seen embracing her son, while he places his hands on either side of her face to share a peck with one another.  The clip, which may have been filmed by Prince Harry, appears to have been taken shortly after the little boy woke up from a nap, with Archie dressed in a sleep sack.

Archie's first birthday

The image of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex celebrating their little boy's big day is among the first royal fans have seen of Archie as the couple have been notoriously private about him.  However, in the first episode of their new £100million Netflix documentary, they shared a series of photographs and clips of Archie, including him seeing snow for the first time.  Highly personal clips show him running on the beach, at their home and the couple snuggling up with the toddler.

Archie seeing snow for the first time

In one adorable moment in the documentary, Meghan, wrapped in a huge green anorak, can be seen whisking her son outside so he can see snow.  The clip is believed to have been filming during the period in which the couple lived briefly in Vancouver Island.  At the time, in autumn 2019, they had departed from the UK and were said to be taking a brief break from royal duties.  They went on to stay at a $14million home on Vancouver Island, Canada, around Christmas.  She can be seen saying: 'Look at the snow! Look at the snow!'

The little boy, who was dressed in a bright blue snow suit, can be seen looking up at his mother from her arms.

Archie's sunset

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's son Archie has been heard making an adorable comment in his American accent in the coupe's new £88m Netflix documentary.  The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's eldest child, three, has appeared throughout the first three episodes of the couple's new TV series, which landed on the streaming service this morning.  In the second episode, Prince Harry is seen taking his son for a walk in an area that appears to be near their home in Montecito.  As his three-year-old son walks ahead of him, Prince Harry is heard singing Heigh-Ho from Snow White.

Harry wheeling Archie on the suitcase 

Elsewhere, the Duke can be seen wheeling around his young son Archie on top of a suitcase.  The clip appears to have been taken while they were living in Vancouver Island.  Prince Harry and his son appear delighted to be playing together on the hardwood floors of the mansion.

Shoulder rides with Prince Harry 

In one adorable snapshot of Prince Harry and his young son Archie, the Duke can be seen giving the little boy a shoulder ride.  Dressed in matching white t-shirts, the pair can be seen gazing at one another as they enjoy the warm sunshine.  It's one of the clearest photographs royal fans have ever seen of the young boy - who is dressed in a white t-shirt, striped, blue trousers and adorable little blue Croc shoes.   

Meghan and Archie heading to the playhouse 

In 2020, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex showed off a lavish playhouse built for their son in the garden of their home in Montecito, California, in an illustration shared on the front of their new Christmas card.  The miniature cottage, designed in a traditional British style, is thought to have been a custom commission and would have cost the couple up to $7,000, toy specialists told FEMAIL.  Featuring a thatched roof and split stable doors, the playhouse has a 'rustic British cottage' feel and has 'English countryside vibes' that wouldn't look out of place in the grounds of one of the British royal residences, according to Jamie Stanford, managing director at UK-based toy company Liberty Games.  Indeed the playhouse looks strikingly similar to the Wendy house Prince Harry's grandmother the Queen was gifted on her sixth birthday by ‘The people of Wales’s that remains in the grounds of Windsor's Royal Lodge.  But in the new documentary, royal fans were treated to a better shot of the playhouse as Meghan and Archie, dressed in matching outfits, walked towards it.  The mother and son duo, wearing matching cream tops with tanned trousers and brown Ugg-boots, strolled across the lawn to the premium playhouse hand-in-hand in the clip.

Meghan cuddling up with Archie in the car 

In another intimate black-and-white photograph of the couple with their children, Meghan can be seen cuddling up with her son Archie in the back of a car.  In the snap, the little boy can be seen cuddling up on his mother's lap as they take a drive.  Archie, who is dressed casually in a shirt and jeans, can be seen holding an American flag in the car.  Meanwhile Meghan holds onto her young son's head and appears to offer him a kiss.  It is not known when or where the snap was taken. 

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
Reading with the children

In one moment in episode two, Prince Harry can be seen snuggling up with one of his children on the sofa of his $14 million mansion.  The duke appears to be reclining on the sofa while reading a book with a young Archie in the clip.  Meanwhile two of the couple's dogs, Pula and Guy, are also seen lounging around with the prince.  It is not known whether the clip was filmed by Meghan, or by the documentary film makers, but offers an intimate glimpse into the couple's life at home with their children.

Trip to Botswana

In another intimate revelation in episode one of the fascinating documentary Meghan and Harry opened about their week together in Botswana at the beginning of their relationship.  Meghan said: 'So I had one week off [work] and it was the same week, so he said do you want to come to Botswana? I said let me think about it and then I did.'

Harry admitted he was 'astonished that she said yes' as he had only met Meghan twice at the point.  He said: 'This woman that I have only met twice, she's coming to Botswana, and we are going to be living in a tent for 10 days.'

Meghan admitted: 'I am getting on a plane, and we are living in the middle of a bush, what, like what if we don't like each other and then we are stuck in the middle of a bush in a tent.  So, I get there, this is the first time I have seen him in a month, we are awkward at first, do we kiss, do we hug, and I just remember he handed me a chicken sandwich.’

Harry continued: 'Then we jumped in a land cruiser and off we went. We were sitting next to each other and then we were holding hands and then we squeezed in a kiss, and everything felt natural. We had to get to know each other before the rest of the world knew.'

Meghan baby feeding chicken

In another moment in the first episode of the series, Meghan can be seen with a baby strapped to her chest as she feeds the chickens at the couple's $14 million mansion.  The baby can be seen wearing an adorable hat which featured pom-poms on the top.   While it's not known whether the baby is Lilibet or a young baby Archie, the couple previously revealed photographs of Archie feeding the chickens.  In the image shared during the explosive Oprah interview, the little boy is seen feeding chickens in the garden of his parents' $19million home in Montecito, California, whilst wearing jeans, a grey t-shirt and yellow Peppa Pig Hunter wellies.  Meghan and Harry previously revealed in their bombshell interview with Oprah Winfrey that they had rescued chickens which were destined to die at a factory farm.  They live in a hut emblazoned with a sign which reads: 'Archie's Chick Inn. Established 2021'.

Sneaking around in London

In the first episode of the Netflix drama, the couple discuss keeping their relationship private during the first few months.  They share a number of clips and snaps from the period, including one showing Prince Harry larking about with some swans.   The clip, which was filmed by Meghan, shows the pair relaxed and enjoying their time together before their relationship became public.  In one highly personal photograph of the couple from the period, Meghan and Harry can be seen enjoying a kiss with one another.  The couple met over Instagram, with the first picture Prince Harry ever saw of his future wife being a snap of Meghan with a Snapchat dog filter on. They then talked over FaceTime for some time as they got to know each other.

First dates 

Harry, 38, who is now based in Montecito, LA, with his wife and their two children, admitted to being late on their first date which took place at 76 Dean Street in Soho, as the couple shared text messages and other details about how they got together before the world knew.  The couple were filmed reminiscing about their first date in a sneak peak of the show released as the first three episodes dropped on Netflix today.  'You were late,' Meghan laughed, saying Harry kept messaging her, writing: 'I'm stuck in traffic, I'm so sorry, I am in traffic, I am sorry'.'

Harry added he was 'panicking, I was freaking out, I was so sweaty.'

Meghan said waiting alone for him to show up left her wondering: 'is this what he does, this I'm not doing.'

She said she wondered if he was 'one of the guys who has so much of an ego that any girl would wait and sit around for 30 minutes for you.  I was not interested in that,' she added.

But her doubts were proved wrong when Harry actually showed up.   'When I walked in, I was hot and sweaty and a red ball of mash,' he said.

Meghan laughed and recounted how Harry was: 'genuinely like so embarrassed you were late.'

The couple also shared a picture of their second date, which took place at Soho House. 

Halloween party with Eugenie and Jack

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle shared previously unseen photographs as they partied with Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank on Halloween in their new Netflix documentary.  The Duchess of Sussex previously revealed how she and the duke went out incognito in Halloween costumes with his cousin and her then boyfriend for a final night out before their relationship was revealed on the Ellen DeGeneres show.  And in the first episode of their new £88 million Harry & Meghan series today, the couple shared a number of photographs from the big night out.  In one snap, Meghan and Harry can be seen crowding in for a photograph with Eugenie and Jack, as well as another friend, Marcus.

Prince Harry and Meghan sharing a kiss

In what appears to be another highly personal photograph of the couple shared by the Duke and Duchess in the documentary, the pair can be seen taking a walk in the English countryside.   In the snap, the pair shared a kiss while walking Meghan's dog Bogart through the hills on a grey day.  The couple appeared low-key as they were dressed in matching green wellington boots, jeans and green jackets.  Meanwhile Meghan, who is known for being ultra-glamorous, appeared make-up free with her hair swept back into a ponytail.  While it is not known when the image was taken, it appears to offer an insight into the couple's life while living in Windsor. 

Sneaking off to the beach

In the first episode of the docu-series, Prince Harry appears to film intimate footage of the two sneaking off to the beach.  The documentary shows the couple were in Big Sur in California in September 2020.  Meghan can be heard saying: 'We've gone rogue' as she films Prince Harry, while the two share a laugh.

She continued: 'I feel like we're doing something so naughty.'

The two could be seen taking a walk to a secluded beach, before she said: 'Oh my goodness, my love.'

Fresh faced Meghan

The Duchess of Sussex appeared bare-faced and with her hair wrapped in a towel within moments of her Netflix documentary series.  Meghan Markle, 41, reflected on her decision to step back from royal duties in a clip filmed in Canada, with the duchess shown in a low-key denim shirt and jeans.  It was a far cry from the usual ultra-glamorous Meghan, who is known for her love of designer brands and highly personal jewellery, the public may be used to seeing.   

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle son Archie takes centre stage in explosive documentary 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's son Archie has been given a starring role in his parents' explosive Netflix documentary.  The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's three-year-old son has appeared in each of the three episodes of their television series, which landed on Netflix at 8am today.  In the first episode, the couple shared a touching home video of their son who was just a few months old at the time reaching out to touch a photo of Princess Diana hanging up on his nursery wall.  The footage which appears to have been filmed on an iPhone in Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Frogmore Cottage home shows Archie babbling away as Meghan says: 'Who's that? Hey grandma!'

After her baby son reaches out to touch the black-and-white portrait, Meghan said: 'Yeah that's your Grandma Diana.'

Later on in the episode, the mother-and-son are seen holding hands and running through what looks like the garden of their Montecito home together.  New never-before-seen images of the couple's son feature throughout the first episodes, including a selfie Meghan took with her new born in what appears to be the Frogmore Cottage nursery and another black-and-white image of her reading Archie a story as he sits in her lap.   What's more, Meghan also shared a heart-warming photo from when she was pregnant with Lili, who was born in June 2021.  The phone selfies show Meghan lying back on a bed in what appears to be their Montecito home as Archie rests against her growing baby bump.  In the second episode, the couple then shared a strikingly intimate moment of the mother-of-two appearing visibly emotional as she gives her son a kiss on the lips.  The footage which appears to have been taken after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped down as working royals in January 2020 shows Meghan cuddling her son in a new nursery.  The Duchess is then heard speaking about being the 'product of divorce' as the heart-warming clip plays in the background.  Moments later, Prince Harry is seen taking his son for a walk in an area that appears to be near their home in Montecito.  As his three-year-old son walks ahead of him, Prince Harry is heard singing Heigh-Ho from Snow White.  Elsewhere, the toddler is seen happily walking along a path with the family's black Labrador before telling his dad: 'Archie is running away!'

It then jumps to a clip of the father and son back at their home in Montecito, where Prince Harry is admiring some hummingbirds.  'We won't get a chance to be this close to hummingbirds ever again,' Prince Harry tells his son. As Meghan films them both, Archie then asks: 'Why?'

Despite asking his toddler to stay quiet and watch the wildlife, the toddler then exclaims: 'I've got a dirty foot mama because I was with you!

Trying her best to stifle her laughter, Meghan tells him: 'You've got a dirty foot, sweetheart. Papa is a birdwatcher, so this is a really big moment for him.'

The docu-series then jumps to a clip of Prince Harry reading their son a storybook on the sofa.  Earlier on in the episode, Prince Harry says off-camera: 'My son, my daughter, my children are mixed race and I'm really proud of that.  'When my kids grow up and they back look at this moment and they turn to me, they say, 'what did you do in this moment?' I want to be able to give them an answer.'

The image of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex celebrating their little boy's big day is among the first royal fans have seen of Archie as the couple have been notoriously private about him.  However, in the first episode of their new £100million Netflix documentary, they shared a series of photographs and clips of Archie, including him seeing snow for the first time.  Highly personal clips show him running on the beach, at their home and the couple snuggling up with the toddler.  In one clip, the little boy described a sunset as 'beautiful'.  In another moment, he can be seen running along as the couple walk around the grounds of their $14million mansion in California.  Meghan said: 'We've been really conscious about protecting our kids as best we can and also understanding the role they play in this really historical family.'

Another clip shows a baby Archie being rolled around on a suitcase at home, while in another Meghan discusses putting him and his sister Lilibet down for the night.   'I felt so ashamed': Prince Harry reveals in Netflix documentary how wearing Nazi fancy dress costume was 'biggest mistake of my life'

Prince Harry has said in his new Netflix series that dressing as a Nazi was one of the 'biggest mistakes' of his life.  The Duke of Sussex expressed contrition for his 2005 gaffe, in which he went to a fancy dress party wearing a mock uniform that featured the Nazis' infamous swastika on his arm and the badge of the German Wehrmacht on his collar.  The story made global headlines after an image of then 20-year-old Harry in the uniform featured on the front page of The Sun newspaper.  Speaking in the third episode of his and his wife Meghan Markle's new Netflix show, Harry expressed his regret and said, 'all I wanted to do was make it right.'

He said he met with the Chief Rabbi and also spoke to a Holocaust survivor as part of efforts to repair the damage done by the gaffe.   At the time, the Chief Rabbi was Jonathan Sacks, who passed away in 2020.   The Duke of Sussex said: 'It was one of the biggest mistakes of my life.  I felt so ashamed afterwards.   All I wanted to do was make it right. I sat down and spoke to the Chief Rabbi in London, which had a profound impact on me.   I went to Berlin and spoke to a holocaust survivor.  I could have got on and ignored it and made the same mistakes over and over in my life, but I learnt from that.'

Harry issued a grovelling apology shortly after the image was published.  He said: 'I am very sorry if I have caused any offence or embarrassment to anyone. It was a poor choice of costume and I apologise.'

The Duke of Sussex wore the Nazi uniform at a party thrown by Olympic show jumper Richard Meade.   The theme of the event held to mark the birthday of Mr Meade's son Harry was 'native and colonial'.   Harry wore the desert uniform of General Erwin Rommel's Afrika Korps.   Earlier in the evening he had worn an army-style jacket with a German flag on the arm.  Harry had arrived with his elder brother Prince William, who reportedly dressed in a skin-tight black leotard with leopard skin pattern and a matching leopard skin tail and paws.  One guest told the Daily Mail afterwards: 'If this was his idea of a joke then it went down like a lead balloon.' 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle share previously unseen snaps from Halloween party with Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle shared previously unseen photographs as they partied with Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank on Halloween in their new Netflix documentary.  The Duchess of Sussex previously revealed how she and the duke went out incognito in Halloween costumes with his cousin and her then boyfriend for a final night out before their relationship was revealed on the Ellen DeGeneres show.  And in the first episode of their new £88 million Harry & Meghan series today, the couple shared a number of photographs from the big night out.  In one snap, Meghan and Harry can be seen crowding in for a photograph with Eugenie and Jack, as well as another friend, Marcus.  Speaking about the event in 2016, Meghan recalled going to a Halloween party with Prince Harry.  Prince Harry was dressed in a gas mask, while Meghan also pulled her hat low over her face.  The couple said they 'wanted to pull the pin on the fun grenade.'   Meghan said: 'His cousin Eugenie, her boyfriend Jack and my friend Marcus were there too. It was so great, just silly fun.'

Meghan has previously spoken of the event during an appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres last year.   Speaking about the event in 2016, she told Ellen: 'He came to see me in Toronto and our friends and his cousin Eugenie and now her husband Jack, they came as well, and the four of us snuck out in Halloween costumes to just have one fun night on the town before it was out in the world that we were a couple. It was a post-apocalypse theme, so we had all this very bizarre costuming on, and we were able to just have one fun final night out.'     

The 20 bombshell revelations so far in Harry and Meghan's explosive Netflix series

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's explosive Netflix documentary has aired as the Royal Family braces itself for the revelations.  Harry & Meghan - a six-part docuseries - dropped on the streaming giant at 8am this morning in the UK, with the Windsor’s steeling themselves for bombshells in the first three episodes.  It contains a string of revelations and allegations about Harry's mother Princess Diana, how the couple met, their first dates, 'unconscious bias’s in the Royal Family and why the Sussexes 'had to quit' royal duties in March 2020, plunging the House of Windsor into crisis.  Here are 20 highlights from the explosive docuseries that is likely to rock 'The Firm' even further.

1. Harry claims they 'had to quit' royal duties to 'protect' Meghan

The Duke of Sussex claims he 'had to quit' royal duties to protect Meghan in the couple's bombshell Netflix series.  In the opening scenes of the first episode of the six-part documentary, Harry insisted: 'This isn't just about our story. This has always been so much bigger than us. No one knows the full truth. We know the full truth.  The institution knows the full truth. And the media know the full truth because they've been in on it. And I think anybody else in my situation would have done exactly the same thing.'

The duke also claimed that the couple made the docuseries to combat so-called 'misinformation' about them.  He said: 'A friend of ours actually suggested that we document ourselves through this period of time.  With all of the misinformation that was going on out there, especially about us and the departure, it seemed like a really sensible idea.'

Meghan is then seen speaking into her phone camera and seems to ask if this is the first video she has filmed, saying: 'I don't know. We've talked about it. We keep talking about it, because we know that, right now it might not make sense, but one day it will make sense.'

In interview footage, she says: 'We've been really conscious of protecting our kids as best as we can and also understanding the role that they play in this really historical family.'
2. Harry compares Meghan to his mother Princess Diana

In the first episode, Harry compares Meghan to his late mother, Princess Diana.  'So much of what Meghan is and how she is, is so similar to my mum. She has the same compassion. She has the same empathy. She has the same confidence. She has this warmth about her,' he said.

Episode one features footage of a young William and Harry playing at a piano accompanied by their parents and interview footage of Diana talking about her two sons.  William appears to tell Harry not to stand on his toe, and Diana says: 'William. He's a typical three-year-old. Very enthusiastic. Whereas perhaps Harry is more quieter and just watches.  He's certainly a different character altogether.'

The footage also shows the King, then Prince of Wales, putting a white handkerchief on his head and making a funny face to try and get Harry's attention for a photograph.  Harry tells the Netflix show: 'My childhood, I remember, or was, filled with laughter, filled with happiness, and filled with adventure.'

He adds: 'I don't have many early memories of my mum. It was almost like internally I sort of blocked them out.  But I always remember her laugh, her cheeky laugh. Her always saying to me 'Look you can get in trouble but just don't get caught'.  And I'll always be that cheeky person inside.'

This part of the first episode features footage of Harry and William as children.

3. Duke: 'I have internally blocked out early memories of Diana'

The Duke of Sussex has said he does not have many early memories of his mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, believing he has internally 'blocked them out'.  Diana died in a car crash when Harry was just 12, but the duke, in his new Netflix documentary, said he still remembers her 'cheeky laugh'.  Archive footage of Diana and Harry's father, the then Prince of Wales, with Harry and his older brother William at Harry's christening and during other arranged photocalls were shown in the tell-all series Harry & Meghan, which began streaming on Thursday.  'My childhood, I remember, was filled with laughter, filled with happiness and filled with adventure,' he says.

'I don't have many early memories of my mum. It was almost like internally I sort of blocked them out.  But I always remember her laugh, her cheeky laugh, her always saying to me 'You can get in trouble just don't get caught'.  I'll always be that cheeky person inside.'

Harry also spoke about his experience of facing photographers as a child.  'The majority of my memories are of being swarmed by paparazzi,' he said, adding that they rarely had a holiday without someone jumping out of a bush with a camera.  Within the family, within the system, the advice that's always given is don't react. Don't feed into it,' he said.

4. Harry: 'I was pulled from one place to another during parents' divorce'

The Duke of Sussex has spoken of being 'pulled from one place to another' during his parents' divorce.  Speaking in episode two of the six-part Harry & Meghan Netflix docuseries, released on Thursday, he said: 'I think most kids who are the product of divorced parents have a lot in common, no matter what your background is.  Being pulled from one place to another, or maybe your parents are competitive, or you're in one place longer than you want to be in, you're in another place less than you want to be.  There’re all sorts of pieces to that.'

5. How Harry and Meghan met

Harry said he first spotted Meghan on a friend's Instagram.  He said: 'I was scrolling through my feed and someone who was a friend had this video of the two of them, it was like a Snapchat.'

An image of Meghan with the popular dog ears filter is then shown.  Harry said: 'That was the first thing. I was like ''who is that?'''

Meghan said the friend then sent her an email, the words of which are typed out on the screen, saying: 'Between you and I thought you might want to know this being newly single and all. I put our Snapchat on Instagram and Prince Haz follows me (he's a friend) he called me last night dying to meet you. hehehe. I might just have to set you up' (sic).

Meghan's reply, which was also typed out on screen, was: 'Who is prince haz?????'

Below her reply viewers can see the words: 'Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse all technological mishaps. I'm a Luddite.'

6. Harry and Meghan's first date (which the Duke was late for) and their third date in Botswana

Harry and Meghan say they had their first date at 76 Dean Street and Harry was late.  The Duchess of Sussex said: 'You were late. And I couldn't understand why he would be late.'

She said he kept texting to apologise and to explain he was stuck in traffic.  Harry said: 'I was panicking. I was freaking out. I was, like, sweating.'

Meghan said she feared Harry may be a guy with an ego who would make a woman sit waiting, but when he arrived, she could see he was genuinely embarrassed about being late.  'He was just so fun, just so refreshingly fun, and that was the thing, we were like child-like together,' Meghan said in the first episode.  The couple's first date lasted an hour, and they had a 'great chat', viewers of the first Netflix episode will learn.  Meghan said: 'I called him that evening and I was like 'I'm leaving the day after tomorrow, do you want to grab dinner tomorrow night?'  And I'm sure he thought it was so forward and American. I'm sure he told me it was so forward and American.'

They had dinner at the same place as they had their first date.  A picture is shown of Meghan nuzzling into Harry as Meghan tells the documentary: 'There was one photo. We just wanted to capture the feeling of just sitting in that little restaurant and going 'Oh my gosh. We were going to give it a go'.'

Harry said: 'That was when it just hit me. I was like, OK, this girl, this woman, is amazing, is everything that I've been looking for. And she's so comfortable and so relaxed in my company.'

Meghan said: 'He had a list apparently of what he was looking for.'

She said it was an 'extensive' list, and Harry said: 'Let's not go there.'

Harry and Meghan spent their third date in Botswana, their explosive Netflix docuseries revealed.

7. Meghan recalls 'amazing' first Christmas at Sandringham with the Royal Family and reveals funny moment she had with Prince Philip

Meghan recalled her 'amazing' first Christmas at Sandringham with the Royal Family in her Netflix documentary.  The first volume of the six-part docuseries dropped on the streaming service today, with three explosive episodes available.  In the third episode, the Duchess of Sussex, 41, talks about her first festive season with the Royal Family in 2017, recalling a funny moment she shared with the late Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.  'I remember so vividly the first Christmas at Sandringham,' Meghan said. 'Calling my mum, and she's like, ''How's it going?''. And I said, ''Oh my gosh, it's amazing.''

8. Halloween with Eugenie and Jack

Harry and Meghan shared previously unseen photographs as they partied with Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank on Halloween in their new Netflix documentary.  The Duchess of Sussex previously revealed how she and the duke went out incognito in Halloween costumes with his cousin and her then boyfriend for a final night out before their relationship was revealed on the Ellen DeGeneres show.  And in the first episode of their new £88 million Harry & Meghan series today, the couple shared a number of photographs from the big night out.  In one snap, Meghan and Harry can be seen crowding in for a photograph with Eugenie and Jack, as well as another friend, Marcus.

9. Meghan meeting the Queen and learning how to curtsy

The Duke of Sussex described during episode two how Meghan meeting the Queen for the first time was a 'shock to the system'.

Harry said: 'My grandmother was the first senior member of the family that Meghan met. She had no idea what it all consisted of so it was a bit of a shock to the system for her.'

Meghan said: 'There wasn't like some big moment of 'Now you're going to meet my grandmother'. I didn't know I was going to meet her until moments before.  We were in the car, and we were going to Royal Lodge for lunch, and he's like ''Oh, my grandmother's here, we're going to meet her after church.'' And I remember we were in the car driving up and he's like ''You know how to curtsy, right?'' And I just thought it was a joke.'

Harry said: 'How do you explain that to people? How do you explain that you bow to your grandmother? And that you will need to curtsy. Especially to an American. That's weird.'

Meghan added: 'Now I'm starting to realise 'This is a big deal'. I mean, Americans will understand this.  We have medieval times, dinner, and tournament. It was like that.'

10. Meghan's 'jarring' first meeting with William and Kate

Speaking in episode two of the six-part Harry & Meghan Netflix docuseries, the Duchess said: 'When Will and Kate came over, and I met her for the first time, they came over for dinner, I remember I was in ripped jeans, and I was barefoot.  I was a hugger. I've always been a hugger; I didn't realise that that is really jarring for a lot of Brits.  I guess I started to understand very quickly that the formality on the outside carried through on the inside.  There is a forward-facing way of being, and then you close the door and go 'You can relax now', but that formality carries over on both sides. And that was surprising to me.'

11. Harry: 'There is a ''huge level of unconscious bias'' in the royal family'

The Duke of Sussex said there is a 'huge level of unconscious bias’s in the royal family during episode three of his Netflix series Harry & Meghan.  The documentary referenced when Princess Michael of Kent wore a Blackamoor-style brooch to an event the Duchess of Sussex attended in 2017.   Harry said: 'In this family, sometimes you are part of the problem rather than part of the solution. There is a huge level of unconscious bias. The thing with unconscious bias, it is actually no one's fault. But once it has been pointed out or identified within yourself you then need to make it right.  It is education. It is awareness. It is a constant work in progress for everybody, including me.'

12. Duke compares paparazzi chasing Diana to Meghan being trolled online

Harry compared paparazzi following Diana to the online harassment faced by his wife Meghan, telling episode two of their bombshell Netflix series: 'To see another woman I love go through this feeding frenzy is hard.'

The Duke of Sussex told how his wife has been repeatedly targeted by social media trolls and described the relationship between the duchess and her online critics as 'basically the hunter versus the prey.'

Harry, narrating, says: 'Back in my mum's days, it was physical harassment, cameras in your face, people chasing you. Paparazzi still harass people, but the harassment exists more online now.  Once the photographs are out and the story is next to it, then comes the social media harassment. To see another woman in my life who I love go through this feeding frenzy, that's hard. It's basically the hunter versus the prey.'

13. Archie has an American accent!

Archie speaks with an American accent in private footage shared by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as part of their new Netflix programme.  The first three episodes of the bombshell docuseries offer insight into their family life in Montecito, California, and glimpses of Archie, three, and daughter Lilibet, 18 months.  These include revealing Archie's favourite song is Bennie and The Jets by Elton John and showing a photo from what appears to be his first birthday.  The first episode shows a barefooted Harry pushing Archie across the floor as he sits on a wheeled suitcase.  It cuts to Harry saying: 'As a dad, and as parents, I think consent is a really key piece to this.  That if you have children, it should be your consent as to what you share.'

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
14. Harry on Megxit day

In the opening scenes, Harry is shown at Heathrow airport in footage he filmed himself in March 2020 at the culmination of the Megxit crisis and as he prepared to leave the UK for the last time as a senior royal.  'This is about duty and service, and I feel as though, being part of this family, it is my duty to uncover this exploitation and bribery that happens within our media,' he says.

Meghan is seen separately, filming herself in Vancouver wearing a towel on her head and saying: 'Unfortunately, in us standing for something, they are destroying us.'

15. Couple claim Buckingham Palace 'declined to comment' on allegations made in series

The series began with a written statement on a black background saying it is a 'first-hand account of Harry & Meghan's story told with never-before-seen personal archive'.

It said all interviews were finished in August 2022 and 'members of the Royal Family declined to comment on the content within this series'.  Harry's father King Charles and brother William, along with Camilla and Kate, are not expected to watch the series, but royal aides will be tasked with closely monitoring the output and considering if and how to respond.  The King and the royal family will be carrying on with royal duties as normal on Thursday, with the documentary coinciding with the first circulation of coins bearing Charles's effigy in post offices around the UK - symbolic of the adjustments continuing in the wake of Queen Elizabeth II's death.

16. Harry and Meghan share snap from their son Archie's first birthday

Harry and Meghan shared a snap from their son Archie's first birthday in their explosive Netflix documentary.  The image of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex celebrating their little boy's big day is among the first royal fans have seen of Archie as the couple have been notoriously private about him.  However, in the first episode of their new £88million Netflix documentary, they shared a series of photographs and clips of Archie, including him seeing snow for the first time.  Highly personal clips show him running on the beach, at their home and the couple snuggling up with the toddler.

17. Meghan's mother Doria Ragland reveals she instantly knew Harry was 'The One' for her daughter

Meghan's mother Doria Ragland has revealed she instantly knew Harry was 'The One' for her daughter from their first meeting.  Appearing in the couple's new bombshell Netflix series, the yoga instructor, 66, from LA, revealed that she's 'ready for her voice to be heard' after a 'challenging' five years.  Speaking straight to camera, the mother was quizzed by producers about the first time her daughter told her about her new royal romance back in 2016.  Recalling their phone conversation, Doria says Meghan who was starring as Rachel Zane in Suits at the time whispered: 'Mommy, I'm going out with Prince Harry.'

Doria said: 'I started whispering [and said] 'oh my god!'

During that first phone call, Meghan told her mother that she needed to keep her relationship a secret. The mother explained: 'From the beginning, it was very sort of nobody could know.'

She continued: 'He was this 6'1 handsome man with red hair, [he had] great manners. He was just really nice. They look really happy together. He was The One.'

18. Bare-faced Duchess appears in tears with hair in towel

The Duchess of Sussex appeared bare-faced and with her hair wrapped in a towel within moments of her Netflix documentary series.  Meghan reflected on her decision to step back from royal duties in a clip filmed in Canada, with the duchess shown in a low-key denim shirt and jeans.  It was a far cry from the usual ultra-glamorous Meghan, who is known for her love of designer brands and highly personal jewellery, the public may be used to seeing.

19. Meghan claims media would find a way to 'destroy' her 'no matter how good' she was

The Duchess of Sussex claimed that the media would find a way to 'destroy' her 'no matter how good' she was.  Episode two of the Harry & Meghan six-part Netflix docuseries appeared to link the EU referendum to a 'culture war' in the UK at the time of their engagement in 2017.  Speaking about the press coverage of her, Meghan said: 'At that point, I was still very much believing what I was being told, which was ''it will pass it will get better, it's just what they do right at the very beginning''. This promise of 'once you're married, don't worry, it'll get better, once they get used to you it'll get better, of course it'll get better'.

'But truth be told, no matter how hard I tried, no matter how good I was, no matter what I did, they were still going to find a way to destroy me,' Meghan added.

20. Harry's regret at dressing up as a Nazi

Harry spoke about when he wore a Nazi uniform to a private party in 2005.  He said: 'It was probably one of the biggest mistakes of my life. I felt so ashamed afterwards. All I wanted to do was make it right.'

Harry, who was 20 at the time, was pictured holding a drink and cigarette, while wearing the costume.  Clarence House issued a response saying Harry had apologised for any offence or embarrassment caused.

The seven moments in Harry and Meghan's Netflix series that will leave King Charles devastated: From Diana's Panorama interview to Royal family 'drama'

Key moments in Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's bombshell Netflix series could make King Charles feel uncomfortable from Diana's famous Panorama interview to royal family 'drama'.  In the first three episodes, which dropped at 8am on Thursday, Meghan told of finding the formality of royal life 'surprising', while Harry said his family's view of his wife were 'clouded' by her being an American actress.  Archive footage of Diana and the then Prince of Wales, with Harry and his older brother William were shown in the tell-all series in which Harry spoke about 'public pressure and drama' his family experienced when he was a child.  Revelations from Harry in the first few episodes include him saying he is his 'mother's son,' claiming his mother was left 'alone' following her divorce from Charles, saying Diana spoke the 'truth' of her experience in the Panorama interview - as well as him saying it was important, he and Meghan did not 'repeat the same mistakes' their parents made.

I am my mother's son she made decisions with her heart, Harry says

Prince Harry described himself as his 'mother's son' when talking about how Princess Diana made decisions with her heart. 

'I think for so many people in the family, especially obviously the men, there can be a temptation or an urge to marry someone who would fit in the mold as opposed to someone who perhaps you are destined to be with,' Harry says in episode one.

'The difference between making decisions with your head, or your heart.

'My mum made most of her decisions, if not all of them, from her heart.

'And I am my mother's son,' he said, putting emphasis on the 'am'.

Harry on being part of a family that was 'different' there was always 'pressure, drama and tears'

'Do I remember a moment when I suddenly realised that my family is different? No, I think it's just gradual,' Harry says in episode one.

Royal family photos are shared in the Netflix documentary, showing Harry's early years.  But he joked there was no point in time that the Queen stood up and taught them what 'it means to be in the royal family'.  He said his childhood was filled with laughter, happiness and adventure.

But he said he doesn't have many early memories of his mum, almost as if he 'blocked them out'.  'But I always remember her laugh, her cheeky laugh,' he said, adding that he will always be a cheeky person inside.'

He spoke about the media interest in his family when they went on holiday, the 'public pressure and drama'.  Harry said: 'There was always public pressure with its fair share of drama, stress and also tears - and witnessing those tears.  I could always see it on my mum's face, and I guess those are the moments when I thought OK, what am I? What am I part of?'

Harry saying Diana 'spoke her truth' in Panorama interview

Speaking about his late mother, Prince Harry said Princess Diana had a 'lived experience' of how she was 'struggling living that life' and that she felt 'compelled to talk about it especially in that Panorama interview.'   'I think we all now know that she was deceived into giving the interview - but at the same time she spoke the truth of her experience,' he said, in episode one.

The separation of Diana and Charles - as Harry says she was left 'by herself' after divorce

The documentary cuts to an announcement by John Major on December 9, 1992, that 'with regret' the Prince and Princess of Wales had decided to separate.   He says the decision had been reached 'amicably' and they would both continue to participate fully in the upbringing of their children.   The documentary then shows a clip from the famous Panorama interview where Diana says: 'Everything changed after we separated, and life became very difficult for me.'

Harry's voiceover then says that the moment Diana divorced and left the institution, she was by herself.   'The pain and the suffering of women marrying into this institution, I remember thinking, how can I ever find someone who is willing and capable to be able to withstand all the baggage that comes with being with me?  What's most important for the two of us is to make sure we don't repeat the same mistakes that perhaps our parents made' - Harry

The Duke of Sussex said it is important that he and the Duchess of Sussex 'don't repeat the same mistakes' their parents made.

Episode two of Netflix documentary Harry & Meghan showed the duke walking with his son, Archie.  Harry said: 'When my kids grow up and they look back at this moment and they turn to me and say what did you do in this moment - I want to be able to give them an answer.  I think it's such a responsibility as human beings that if you bring a small person into this world that you should be doing everything you can to make the world a better place for them,' he said.

'But equally what's most important for the two of us is to make sure we don't repeat the same mistakes that perhaps our parents made.'

'I think most kids who are the product of divorced parents have a lot in common, no matter what your background is,' he adds.

'Being pulled from one place to the other, or maybe your parents are competitive. Or you're in one place longer than you want to be and in another less than you want to be. There’re all sorts of pieces to that.'

Meghan added: 'There's so much I think from anyone's childhood that you bring with you into the present, especially when you are the product of divorce.'

Harry claims royal family members asked why Meghan should be 'protected' when their wives 'went through it'

The Duke of Sussex has said members of the royal family asked why the Duchess of Sussex should be 'protected' when they questioned newspaper headlines about her.  Speaking in episode two of Harry & Meghan, the six-part Netflix docuseries released on Thursday, he said: 'The direction from the Palace was don't say anything.  But what people need to understand is, as far as a lot of the family were concerned, everything that she was being put through, they had been put through as well.  So, it was almost like a rite of passage, and some of the members of the family were like 'my wife had to go through that, so why should your girlfriend be treated any differently? Why should you get special treatment? Why should she be protected?''  I said ‘The difference here is the race element'.'

Meghan meeting the Queen for the first time was a 'shock to the system' 

The Duke of Sussex described during episode two how Meghan meeting the Queen for the first time was a 'shock to the system'.  Harry said: 'My grandmother was the first senior member of the family that Meghan met. She had no idea what it all consisted of so it was a bit of a shock to the system for her.'

Meghan said: 'There wasn't like some big moment of 'Now you're going to meet my grandmother'. I didn't know I was going to meet her until moments before.  We were in the car and we were going to Royal Lodge for lunch, and he's like 'Oh, my grandmother's here, we're going to meet her after church.' And I remember we were in the car driving up and he's like 'You know how to curtsy, right?' And I just thought it was a joke.'

Harry said: 'How do you explain that to people? How do you explain that you bow to your grandmother? And that you will need to curtsy. Especially to an American. That's weird.'

Meghan added: 'Now I'm starting to realise 'This is a big deal'. I mean, Americans will understand this.  We have medieval times, dinner, and tournament. It was like that.'

In the opening scenes, began with a written statement on black background saying it was a 'first-hand account of Harry & Meghan's story told with never-before-seen personal archive'.  It added all interviews were finished in August 2022 and then a statement appeared saying: 'Members of the Royal Family declined to comment on the content within this series.'

Footage from Diana's interview with disgraced BBC journalist Martin Bashir is shown in Harry and Meghan's Netflix series.  DESPITE William requesting 'deceitful' Panorama programme never be aired again

Footage from Princess Diana's interview with Martin Bashir has been shown in Harry and Meghan's Netflix docuseries, despite the Prince of Wales requesting the 'deceitful' Panorama programme never be aired again.  Midway through the first episode, clips are shown of Diana speaking in the controversial 1995 interview, a programme that William said exacerbated his mother's 'fear, paranoia and isolation'.  Before the clip is shown, Harry, speaking about his mother's struggles with press intrusion, says: 'I think she had a lived experience of how she was struggling living that life. She felt compelled to talk about it.  Especially in that Panorama interview. I think we all now know that she was deceived into giving the interview. But at the same time she spoke the truth of her experience.'

In the snippet from the Panorama interview used in the Netflix episode, Diana is shown saying: 'I still to this day find the interest daunting and phenomenal. Because I actually don't like being the centre of attention.  When I have my public duties, I understand when I get out the car I'm being photographed. But actually, it's now when I go out of my door, my front door, I'm being photographed. I never know where a lens is going to be.'

A report by Lord Dyson, published in May 2021, found the BBC covered up Bashir's deceit in obtaining the interview and 'fell short of high standards of integrity and transparency'.  The journalist was in 'serious breach' of the BBC's producer guidelines when he faked bank statements and showed them to Earl Spencer, Diana's brother, to gain access to Diana in 1995, the report said.  In a scathing statement issued following the publication of the report, William said: 'It is my firm view that this Panorama programme holds no legitimacy and should never be aired again. It effectively established a false narrative which, for over a quarter of a century, has been commercialised by the BBC and others.'

In his rebuke of the BBC, William added: 'It is my view that the deceitful way the interview was obtained substantially influenced what my mother said. The interview was a major contribution to making my parents' relationship worse and has since hurt countless others.  It brings indescribable sadness to know that the BBC's failures contributed significantly to her fear, paranoia and isolation that I remember from those final years with her.'

Meghan and Harry's Netflix episodes in full

EPISODE ONE: The Duke of Sussex reveals he 'had to quit' royal duties to protect Meghan Markle as he compared the former Suit actress to his late mother Princess Diana in the first episode of the couple's bombshell Netflix series.   It features Harry filming himself in the Windsor Suite at Heathrow Airport in March 2020, on the day of Megxit, when the couple decided to leave the royal family. It will inevitably raise questions about just when the couple decided to work with Netflix on their incendiary docuseries.   

It also reveals:

- Harry said a friend told the couple they should document a period of their lives, which they agreed to due to the 'misinformation' about them.

- Harry said he first spotted Meghan on a friend's Instagram.

- Harry and Meghan said they had their first date at 76 Dean Street - and the Duke was late.

- Meghan's friend Silver Tree said the Duchess was 'crazy' about Harry after meeting him.

- Harry said there is a temptation in the royal family to marry someone who 'fits the mould'.

- The Duke recalled his childhood was 'filled with' laughter, happiness, and adventure, and that he remembers his mother's 'cheeky laugh'.

- Harry said: 'The majority of my memories are of being swarmed by paparazzi.'

- The Duke praised his mother, Diana, for her efforts to 'protect' him and his brother from the media.

- Harry said his mother was 'compelled' to talk about her life.

EPISODE TWO:  Features Meghan's mother, Doria, speaking on camera for the first time about her daughter's relationship with Prince Harry.  She tells interviewers the last five years have been 'challenging' but is 'ready to have my voice heard'.

It also reveals: 

- The Duke said members of the royal family asked why Meghan should be 'protected' or given 'special treatment' when they questioned newspaper headlines about her.

- Harry said negative press coverage about Meghan had a 'race element'.

- Meghan's mother Doria Ragland told of paparazzi taking pictures of deprived neighbourhoods in Los Angeles and saying that was where she was from.

- The Duke said articles in the press had 'racist undertones' as well as 'outright racism'.

- Harry went on to talk about his children, saying he is 'really proud' they are mixed race.

- The Duke said he and the Duchess of Sussex were keen 'not to make the same mistakes our parents did' while bringing up their children.

- The King's second son said the early stages of dating were 'car chases, anti-surveillance driving and disguises'.

- Meghan found the 'formality' of being in the royal family 'surprising', saying she realised people in the UK found hugging 'really jarring'.

- The Duke of Sussex described how Meghan meeting the Queen for the first time was a 'shock to the system', saying it was 'weird' telling her to curtsy to his grandmother.

- Harry said his wife being an American actress 'clouded' his family's view of her.

- The Duchess of Sussex said the media would find a way to 'destroy' her 'no matter how good' she was.

EPISODE THREE:  Harry and Meghan call their engagement announcement in 2017 an 'orchestrated reality show' nmand experts take aim at the 'racist' history of the British empire, and its Kings and Queens.

It also reveals:   

- Harry believes there is a 'huge level of unconscious bias’s in the royal family.

- Meghan claimed stories were 'planted' in the lead up to their wedding, with the couple 'playing whack-a-mole' with the press.

- Meghan described the time around their engagement as an 'orchestrated reality show', adding their interview after the announcement was 'rehearsed'.

- Harry said he 'shoulders' the responsibility for the breakdown of Meghan's relationship with her father.

- Harry said his time in the Army helped 'burst' the bubble of life in the royal family.

- Meghan claimed her elder half-sister Samantha Markle exaggerated the extent of their relationship.

- Meghan revealed her son Archie's favourite song is Bennie and The Jets by Sir Elton John.

- Meghan discovered her father was going to attend her wedding 'through a tabloid'.

Meghan's school poem about divorce: 

Two houses, two homes, two kitchens, two phones.

Two coaches where I lay, two places where I stay.

Moving, moving here and there, from Monday to Friday, I'm everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that bad but often times it makes me sad.

I want to live that nuclear life with a happy dad and his loving wife.

A picket fence, a shaggy dog, a fireplace with a burning log.

But it's not real, it's just a dream, I cannot cry or even scream. 

So here I sit with cat number three, life would be easy if there were two of me.