Author Topic: Devotions  (Read 1975 times)

RDsmum

• View Profile
Devotions
« on: March 06, 2023, 03:24:17 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/02/14/turning-to-god-for-comfort-when-youre-ghosted?_hsmi=203295909&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_itlizAV84meh52lBKlv6-Ge-YpT1JM9K_-gvDhWOZ6YLdsWS9MKP_Qid-CnrGOZzgCKHQnLI2AQ-hkRCTkHc_MHJq5g#disqus_thread

Turning to God for Comfort When You’re Ghosted
February 14, 2022

by Sarah Geringer

“What good fellowship we once enjoyed as we walked together to the house of God.” Psalm 55:14 (NLT)

I remember getting “ghosted” by a friend before ghosting was a widespread cultural phenomenon.  According to Merriam-Webster, ghosting is “the act or practice of abruptly cutting off all contact with someone usually without explanation.”

With every remembrance of the friend who cut me off, pain stabbed me in the heart over and over. We had shared meals, clothes, living spaces, holidays and faith. We had traveled across the country to visit one another. This wasn’t just any friendship it was one of my best ones ever.  Then suddenly, without a known cause, my emails were not returned. My friend enacted a nuclear Facebook reboot, erasing all traces of the past, including our ties.  I didn’t know what to say or do. My emotions pulled me in so many directions fear, sadness, desperation, anger, confusion and indignance. But my deepest hurt stemmed from abject rejection.  Then as I turned to my Bible for comfort one day, the words in Psalm 55 jumped off the page. I learned I wasn’t alone in getting ghosted by a close friend. David had also experienced this when a good friend turned against him.  David’s trust was shattered when his friend felt more like an enemy. He wrestled with the new truth of his friend’s betrayal. Perhaps the most painful part was the fact they had shared a bond of faith. David wistfully reminisced in Psalm 55:14: “What good fellowship we once enjoyed as we walked together to the house of God.”

But David didn’t stay stuck in his pain of getting rejected. Instead, he poured out his pain in prayer, trusting that God cared about his feelings.  In Psalm 55, we can find a plan for how to deal with getting ghosted. Let’s look at David’s account to see what we can do with our own pain.

*  Go to God in prayer. David started his psalm with a request for God to listen. (Psalm 55:1-2) Going to God first will tether us to Him more than to our hurt.
*   Admit you feel overwhelmed. In Psalm 55:2, David said his heart was “overwhelmed” with his problems. Being ghosted produces a flood of feelings, yet God is our ever-present anchor.
*  Pour out all your feelings. David shared his unedited thoughts with God, though they were painful and strong. (Psalm 55:3-11) God is ready to handle the hot mess of our feelings when we get ghosted.
*  Reflect on your relationship. David talked to God about memories with his friend and recounted hurts related to the rejection, sharing both the good and the bad. (Psalm 55:12-14, 20-21) God wants to hear the full story of our rejection.
*  Give your burdens to God. After this painful outpouring, David surrendered all his feelings to God. He trusted God to hear him, care for him, protect him and rescue him. (Psalm 55:16-19, 22-23) We can trust God to do the same for us.

You may not be able to prevent getting ghosted or betrayed, but you can turn to God for comfort and help, like David did, if you face this situation. And friend, even more importantly God wants you to turn to Him.  Our good God is waiting for us to reach out for His divine comfort. Let’s take Him up on that today.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
Re: Devotions
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 02:06:40 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/04/19/the-peace-i-need?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=209872135&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9R9FAbbqhCxRqUPFVcw1Zm1ki62SMczsGbHwpCkTH9r6da8Vcy1vbEmk7jyvJ796A1yNFYzMmIhsGA4_qVG0KNj1Lqww&utm_content=209872135&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

The Peace I Need
April 19, 2022
by Lynn Cowell

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV)

All three of my kids are marrying in the first six months of 2022. This year.  Yes, you read that correctly.  I don’t have to tell you that these weddings, in addition to the demands of work projects and normal, everyday life, are a lot! And while my family is blessed to have our stress be mostly positive stress, it is stress all the same.  In the past, control has been my go-to relief for anxiousness in times like these. But this time, I am looking to God’s Word for the help I need.  One morning recently, I read my Bible, figuratively sitting with the Apostle Paul. He spoke to me about how to thrive in this beautiful season.  It’s like he was there, coffee in hand, sitting on the couch across from me, saying: “Listen, Lynn. ‘Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus’” (Philippians 4:6-7).

I could hear the Lord, through Paul’s words, telling me not to fret or worry. He challenged me that, each time my mind went to another detail that needed to be taken care of, I should pray first. Let God know (as if He doesn’t already) that I need His help for it all to come together.  Paul’s Holy Spirit-inspired guidance helped me to settle down my spirit and know that, as I reach for Jesus instead of control, He will help me to receive His peace, which I so desperately need.  Paul has every right to tell you and me how to do this. He lived it. His experiences were not joyous, like weddings where I will gain new family members, or exciting work projects where I can use my talents. No, he experienced prison, shipwrecks, snake bites and stoning. (2 Corinthians 11:23-27) We can trust Paul when he says we can let God know our concerns while praising Him at the same time.  Paul says that when we choose to pray and praise instead of worrying, “the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard [our] hearts and minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:7, ESV).

So I’ll pray with gratitude on my lips and take the peace Jesus gives as I trust Him to work out every little detail. As I do, I am seeing this practice of prayer not as a one-time or one- ay thing but an every-time, everyday thing: I am choosing each day to walk with Him, whatever each day holds.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 02:13:36 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/04/20/why-my-heart-makes-a-poor-window?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=209872460&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8sV2yTetZPVVqRE5uFEuBd93wCn-HgPdd6T6CT4GEqigQ4BQ9jydscXBxZU0f0UdX9evmteZRUT8Wv_wz8k0880j-sOA&utm_content=209872460&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Why My Heart Makes a Poor Window
April 20, 2022
by Alicia Bruxvoort

“Nothing is perfect except your words.” Psalm 119:96 (TLB)

There was snow outside, but the forecast in first grade was balmy.  It was “beach day” at the elementary school a day for singing songs about sunshine and creating art projects with seashells, for eating snacks on beach towels and doing science experiments with sprinkles of sand. And my youngest daughter was dressed for the occasion.  She donned a tropical sundress and a wide-brimmed hat, bright orange flip-flops and a sand-dollar necklace. Finally, with a happy squeal, she placed her beloved pink sunglasses on the bridge of her nose and headed to the minivan where her siblings waited.  As my beach girl climbed into the back seat, she peered at her siblings through her rosy sunglasses and pointed to each one.  "You look mad. And you look mad. And you look mad, too!”

Giggles erupted, and I posed this question: “What makes you think everybody’s mad today?”

“Their faces are red!” my first grader replied. I glanced at the kids behind me, but I didn’t spy ruddy cheeks or flushed foreheads, pink streaks of embarrassment or crimson gleams of anger. I merely saw the profiles of my clear-skinned children.  As I was about to correct my little girl, she removed her sunglasses. With wide-eyed chagrin, she stared at her siblings once more. As she realized those cheap reflective lenses had cast a reddish glow over everything, her lips spread into a contrite smile.  “You don’t look mad anymore!” she admitted. “I guess my glasses tricked me.”

Those shimmery shades may have functioned as a fine accessory, but they served as a poor window to the world.  It’s easy to laugh about my daughter’s beach-day blunder, but I’ve suffered from unreliable optics, too. In fact, when it comes to my spiritual sight, I don’t need a pair of cheap sunglasses to distort my vision. My own heart can swiftly skew my view of God’s.  If I look at God through the lens of my feelings or the scope of my circumstances, I may see Him as careless or capricious.  If I look at God through the monocle of my doubt or the spyglass of my discouragement, I may regard Him as unwilling or unable.  If I look at God through the pane of my pride or the peephole of my fear, I may perceive Him as angry or aloof, faithless or fickle.  And sadly, the more I peer through my own murky lens, the more my view of His goodness grows dim.  The humbling truth is this: My finite perspective makes a poor window for an infinite God.  Thankfully, there’s a fix for my flawed sight (and for yours). In Psalm 119:96, King David points us to a window that will never warp “Nothing is perfect except your words.”

This succinct sentence reminds us that the Bible isn’t just a string of stories or a collection of rules; it’s the only way to gain a foolproof view of God’s heart on this side of heaven. The Bible doesn’t just instruct our hearts; it refines our vision.  Scripture reveals where the eyes of our hearts (Ephesians 1:18) have been tricked by our feelings or deceived by our worries, clouded by concerns or deluded by disappointment. (Hebrews 4:12) When we engage with God’s Word, our outlook shifts. Like a little beach girl I once knew, we begin to humbly identify those places where our sight has been skewed.  Suddenly we see that;  Our unmet expectations portrayed God as unkind, but His Word reveals He is endlessly compassionate. (1 Peter 5:7; Exodus 34:6)  Our pain painted God as distant, but His Word promises He is forever near. (Matthew 28:20)  Our unanswered prayers made God seem inattentive, but His Word confirms He is always listening. (John 11:42)  This is how we improve our spiritual vision, friends! We open our Bibles and invite the Holy Spirit to help us trade our unreliable optics for unchanging Truth. As we do, we often come face to face with God’s goodness and we can’t help but marvel at the view.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 07:00:06 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/05/13/remembering-gods-goodness-so-you-dont-have-to-be-afraid?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=211921428&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_FAztAZyqZSkIALP1lPnPJ1pI16F9yK3wHRtEkPRISwjJhY8tYmSGtG2ivescEy2iFDEpwMqNckNKQvUxERLNJWn29QA&utm_content=211921428&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Remembering God’s Goodness so You Don’t Have To Be Afraid
May 13, 2022
by Jamie C. Finn

“For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, ‘Fear not, I am the one who helps you.’” Isaiah 41:13 (ESV)

My fingers shook as I dialed my husband’s number.  “Hello?”

“They removed him again.” I jumped right in. “They removed him, and they’re going to bring him to some strangers’ house, and strangers are going to adopt him, and we’re never, ever going to see him again. And I am not OK!”

If you pictured me walking around my kitchen in circles, crying and gasping for breath between each word, you would be right.  My husband’s response, through his own pained realization that our beloved former foster son may be placed somewhere else, was this: “Jamie, God is good. And everything He does is good.”

Hanging up, I repeated it like a mantra as I continued to walk around my kitchen in circles. God, You are good, and everything You do is good. God, You are good, and everything You do is good. God, You are good.  I fall into fear when I define who God is by what I see, rather than defining what I see by who God is. And who is He?

God is omnipresent, everywhere all the time.  God is omniscient, knowing everything from every time.  God is omnipotent, having all the power ever needed for anything.  God is sovereign, perfectly in control of every person and place and thing.  God is immutable, never changing, because He is perfect and will never get any more perfect or any less perfect.  God is eternal, existing from forever past to forever future.  God is holy, perfect and pure, separate and unlike His creation.  God is wise. God is righteous. God is good. God is merciful. God is love.  These are real truths about the real God who is involved in every part of our lives. They’re not platitudes or plaque quotes. They are the most determining factors of our fates, the most decisive forces in our lives and the lives of those we love. And they are the reason we can trust in Him.  So in the midst of fear, I can speak with confidence in who He is: “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you” (Psalm 56:3, ESV).

Throughout Scripture, when God’s people are told not to be afraid, they’re told something else along with it. Some important truth, beautiful promise or big-picture reality of God’s character:

“… Fear not … I am your shield …” (Genesis 15:1, ESV)

“Fear not, for I am with you and will bless you …” (Genesis 26:24b, ESV)

“… Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will work for you today.” (Exodus 14:13a, ESV)

“You shall not fear them, for it is the LORD your God who fights for you.” (Deuteronomy 3:22, ESV)

“… Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” (Isaiah 41:13, ESV)

“… Fear not, for I have redeemed you …” (Isaiah 43:1, ESV)

It’s not just that we shouldn’t be afraid. It’s that we don’t have to be afraid.  Fear is a sort of forgetting, a focusing on the “what” instead of the “who.” An amnesia of just how good God is and always has been and promises always to be. We look at God with worried accusation: But how can I know You’ll do it again?

If fear is forgetting, then the antidote to fear is remembering. Remembering the faithfulness of God, the character of God and the promises of God.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
Surrendering Isn’t the Same as Giving Up
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 09:36:29 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/06/09/surrendering-isnt-the-same-as-giving-up?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=215353260&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_xXZBKHw4f0c5NULApe_unyBqleHifhDzP-zKi_E_rWMOxAhn0_SIue-sIpy9KgWKbYs8thKyEJO4qgjhWgWMM88rhoQ&utm_content=215353260&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Surrendering Isn’t the Same as Giving Up
June 9, 2022
by Megan Evans, COMPEL Training Member

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7 (NIV)

With no solution to my problem in sight, I uttered the frustrated phrase “I give up!”

Cradling my head in my hands, I sank into a chair at my kitchen table. Resting there on my elbows, I declared defeat. I didn’t really want to quit, but it seemed my options had run out.  I’m not sure how many times in my life I’ve said “I give up,” but it’s been plenty.

I’m guessing you’ve said it, too.  Still, one thing is certain for every follower of Christ: Just because we feel defeated doesn’t mean we are left for dead. Quite the opposite! From the depths of our heart, a little signal pings and fires a rescue flare called hope. That’s the difference between us and the world. Our hope is never lost.  In my kitchen that day, hope began to bubble to the surface. Instead of giving up, I found my lips praying a different set of words: Jesus, I surrender.  Nobody likes to raise a white flag. We’ve been taught that more is better, and failure is not an option. The world tells us, “You can do it all!” In reality, we can’t, nor do we need to. But we try. We overextend our time, overextend our abilities and overextend our resources. Yet all of this overreaching just leaves us gripping the end of our rope.  I’ve learned that in these moments swelling with frustration, we have a choice. We can choose to sit with the enemy in defeat or surrender to the Lord in victory. As we surrender to the Lord, our giving up is replaced by His lifting up, as our key verse says: “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you” (1 Peter 5:6-7).

As we raise our white flag and cry out to Jesus, He rescues us from the depths. When we humble ourselves before the Lord, we begin to see His mighty hand at work. While we rest safely under God’s care, He will lift us up in due time and His timing is always perfect.  Surrendering isn’t the same thing as giving up not when God is involved. Submitting to God means humbly placing ourselves at His feet. Then we give up our desire for control and our pride. Under the care of God’s mighty hand, we release the need to know when, why and how. Faith finds us resting in His power, peace and provision. This different surrender is a dying of self, and in it we begin to walk in fresh, new life with Christ.  Are details of this day causing your head to droop?

Help is on the way. Hope is bubbling to the surface even now. When we find ourselves at the end of our rope, let’s instead cast our anxiety on the Lord. Nestle under the protection of God’s mighty hand because He cares for you. Rest there.  Don’t give up in defeat today; surrender to the Lord.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
When God Closes a Door
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 09:47:07 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/06/10/when-god-closes-a-door?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=215354761&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_htQ5agc0C6rpzj4BqQJ8d1Ah8U9-P5-u85lshrOPIBe-Ik6Hjgv-kcE7KSTDycszCvLIt2HmviFIUinydIbRFv6oYoA&utm_content=215354761&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

When God Closes a Door
June 10, 2022
by Binu Samuel

“... ‘Send him back to the town you’ve given him!’ they demanded. ‘He can’t go into the battle with us. What if he turns against us in battle and becomes our adversary? ...’” 1 Samuel 29:4 (NLT)

I had just gotten married, moved across town and was in search of a new job closer to our new apartment. I made some calls and sent out my resume. After some time, I received a call back from a district manager. He was upbeat, and we seemed to connect.  “Could you meet me at our newest store?”

He gave me the address. “It’s about to open, and I think it would be a good fit for you.”

He didn’t have to ask me twice. “Yes, sir, I’ll be there!”

I parked my car and said a prayer, but as I was walking up to the store, I heard someone call my name. I recognized that upbeat voice. “Hey, I’m so sorry. An emergency came up and I am going to have to reschedule our meeting. I will call you soon.”

I understood. Stuff happens. Things come up, I told myself. But I had a strange feeling God was up to something.  In the days and weeks to follow, I never heard back from that company and as strange as it was, I never felt compelled to follow up.  But after some time, I did hear back from a different company. This district manager asked that I go and meet a man by the name of Kent. “If everything works out, he will be your local manager.”

That evening my husband and I met Kent. After a few minutes of small talk, my husband and I knew this was it.  Closed doors aren’t always a bad thing.  In 1 Samuel 29, David was on the run from King Saul. He was tired and worn out and found a safe haven in an unlikely place, amid the ungodly Philistines long-time enemies of David’s people, the Israelites.  During David’s stay in enemy territory, Achish (a Philistine king) grew to trust and rely upon David. In fact, Achish was so pleased with David, he wanted David to serve in his army. But the Philistine commanders knew of David’s great reputation as a leader in the Israelite army, so they resisted.  “... ‘Send him back to the town you’ve given him!’ they demanded. ‘He can’t go into the battle with us. What if he turns against us in battle and becomes our adversary? ...’” (1 Samuel 29:4)

As strange as it was, the great warrior, David, experienced rejection for a role he was overqualified for. But God was up to something.  Later, in 2 Samuel, Saul died and David was appointed king over Israel.  Imagine if God hadn’t closed that door and David had fought alongside the Philistines.  Would the Israelites have been able to fully trust David as their king?

What would have become of David?

Would we still have his psalms?

Would the Philistines have benefited from David's leadership had they not rejected him?

God’s sovereign hand was clearly at work in the life of David. I believe it’s the same for you and me.

Sometimes, God sets up divine appointments or divine events to cancel our current appointments. I used to worry and wonder, God, what if I choose the wrong path?

Now I know: The Creator of the universe is the Creator of me, so if I go down the wrong path, God is more than able to reroute me and set me on the right one.  Friends, I met Kent in December of 1999. Over 20 years and two companies later, Kent is still my manager.  This doesn’t mean every closed door in my life or yours will directly result in a better opportunity but we can always trust God’s plan. Maybe you’re in a season in which more doors seem to be closing for you than opening. Give it time. I believe you will look back one day and see God’s divine hand in your situation as well.  As we submit our plans to Him, I pray we learn to trust that our heavenly Father is always at work in our lives in the confusion, in the strange cancellations and even in the closed doors.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
When I Am Most Like Jesus
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2023, 03:52:50 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/11/15/when-i-am-most-like-jesus?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=232071398&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--TvOGvXcqF3izehko2KJnqojw5w3nBy7uEexMbW09EMtjpq8ckauOrxxy5FabqKf6q70ivskTxTOeP0lwcp813rNSWpA&utm_content=232071398&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

When I Am Most Like Jesus
November 15, 2022
by Lynn Cowell

“In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.” Philippians 2:5-7 (NIV)

I had only one thought when I opened my eyes in the pre-dawn darkness: Why do I have to get up before the sun does?

I knew the answer but I was tired and not thrilled about being awake that early.  My husband and I were part of a team that turned a public school into a church sanctuary on Sunday mornings. Hanging drapes, setting up chairs and transforming classrooms into children’s church rooms were all part of our volunteer description.  Most mornings, I was happy to be serving with my man. This type of work was a welcome change from the roles we each played during the week.  Other mornings, when my alarm went off at 4:45 a.m., my thoughts were not that positive. Sundays are for rest, so why am I not resting?

And still other times, it wasn’t my alarm but my own desire for recognition that tempted me to take my thoughts in the wrong direction. Right there in that high-school cafeteria, the enemy and I would have a knock-down brawl as I fought to serve from a pure heart.  I am guessing I am not the only one who struggles at times with serving in the unseen spaces. We get confused, thinking ministry is more in the spotlight, such as teaching a Bible study. Yet Scripture shows us clearly, through the example of our Savior, what pure service looks like:  “In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness” (Philippians 2:5-7).

Jesus, the King of kings and Lord of lords, made Himself nothing for us, and He did that by assuming the posture of a servant.  If our desire is to be like Jesus, then Paul tells us here in Philippians that serving like Jesus is less flashy than we think. It looks more like taking groceries to our elderly mother. Serving like Jesus is making a meal for women in a local shelter. Serving like Jesus is caring for those who won’t or can’t ever pay us back. This is when we are most like our Savior.  Jesus Himself instructed us in this way: “… whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Matthew 20:26-28, CSB).

When I’m truly serving like Jesus, I am serving Jesus. When we choose to do the hidden work, the less-than-beautiful, unseen work when we choose to humble ourselves and give our time, effort and resources to those who need love most this is when we are like Jesus.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
Dear God, Why Haven’t You Given Me ...
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 03:08:53 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/11/25/dear-god-why-havent-you-given-me?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=232630504&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--mD5b_5cGJ4iWTxLqQs8Gtwwyq2YELY006tUt24tfHUO7yN1VXzMDBlsvrSAjkv4TsY6WyRJLuAgBlSHNMnUKZvDm8jw&utm_content=232630504&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Dear God, Why Haven’t You Given Me ...
November 25, 2022
by Lysa TerKeurst

“The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes ...” Psalm 19:7-8 (ESV)

I remember the day I closed my eyes as tears fell and I whispered, “God, please either take away this longing of my heart or show me Your answer. I just don’t think I can keep hoping for what no longer seems possible.”

If you’ve ever prayed a similar prayer, you know this kind of breaking point. And it’s at this exact place of desperation that our lives can go in one of two directions:

We can lean into God and learn to trust Him more fully.
    We can look within ourselves for temporary solutions, numb out so we don’t have to feel the ache, or listen to the hopeless scripts running through our minds, only leaving us more empty.

One of those scripts I have found myself tangled in typically goes something like this:  I could really be happy and fulfilled if only I had …  More resources.  Predictability and peace in my home.  More time.  Uncomplicated relationships.  Friends who were more understanding.  The ability to see a future where I’m really OK.  I don’t know what your “if only I had” statements are, but I do know this: None of them will bring ultimate fulfillment. They might bring temporary moments of happiness, but even those won’t be as perfect as you imagine. It’s so hard not to pursue solutions of our own making more than waiting on God’s way or God’s timing. The truth is, apart from a thriving relationship with God, even if we got everything on our list, there would still be a hollow gap in our soul.  If we were sitting together over coffee, processing all of this, here’s where I would turn in God’s Word with you: “The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes …” (Psalm 19:7-8).

You see, instead of saying “if only I had” and filling in the blank with some person, possession or position, we can make the choice to replace that statement with God’s Truth. Here are some examples:  People.  I no longer dwell on “if only my biological father loved me.”

Instead, I remember God is the “Father of the fatherless” (Psalm 68:5, ESV) whose love for me endures forever. (Psalm 136)

Maybe your gap isn’t left by an absent father but by a friend who hurt you or rejected you. Or the children you’ve longed to have but still don’t have.  Whatever that gap is, God is the perfect fit for your emptiness.  If you find yourself here today, pray this paraphrase of Luke 1:78-79 with me: Because of the tender mercy of my God by which the rising sun will come to me from heaven to shine on my darkness and in what feels like the shadow of death to me I will find peace.  Possessions.  I no longer get fixated on things I wish I had or compare myself to others. Instead, I redirect my focus when I recite the words of Matthew 6:19-21: “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (NIV).

Any possession I ever long for, no matter how good it may seem, will only be good for a limited time. In light of eternity, every possession is in the process of breaking down, becoming devalued, and will eventually be taken from us. If I set my heart solely on acquiring more things, I’ll feel more vulnerable with the possibility of loss.  Possessions are meant to be appreciated and used to bless others. They were never meant to be identity markers. It’s not wrong to enjoy the possessions we have as long as we don’t depend on them for our heart’s security.  Position.  Instead of thinking “if only I had more opportunities” or “if only I had the right networking connections,” we can pray the words of Psalm 119:105 “Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path” (NIV) immediately exhaling the pressure of striving and competing.

Friend, you don’t need a better position to get where you should go. We don’t have to figure out our path and run ahead. God’s Word will guide us. And as we follow Him and honor Him step by step, we can be assured that we’re right where He wants us, doing what He wants us to do.  Sweet sister, let the solid truths from Scripture interrupt whatever “if only I had” statement you’re struggling with today.  When God’s Word gets inside of us, it becomes the new way we process life. It rearranges our thoughts, our motives, our needs and our desires. Our souls are tailor-made to be filled with God and His Truth; therefore, it seeps into every part of us and fills our longings like nothing else can. And even if we don’t receive from God what we thought we desperately wanted, He will give us perspective to help us see that with God, we will never be left empty.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
Remembering Your Story
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 03:15:24 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/11/28/remembering-your-story?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=234384021&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-89UEqjbs2f3aeITIBb0622Z0l6rMlVZTfbQJDUZDEq9Je71zop5nJZoogFYVrB-4wvRL9aoAJ368mslL_YRsPpgcj9Ew&utm_content=234384021&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Remembering Your Story
November 28, 2022
by Sharon Jaynes

“I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done.” Psalm 143:5 (NIV)

On our way to the coast, my husband and I stopped at Chick-fil-A. While Steve purchased our nuggets, I took our dog, Molly, for a walk in the grassy area nearby.  On our second turn around the plot of green, I noticed something shiny poking through the weeds. When I bent down to pick it up, my heart skipped a beat.  It was a silver cuff bracelet that read, This is my story. This is my song. Praising my Savior, all the day long. What left me slack-jawed wasn’t just that I found the bracelet but that the bracelet was mine!  Three weeks earlier, Steve and I had traveled the same road, stopped at the same spot and walked Molly on the same plot of grass. I didn’t even realize the bracelet had slipped from my wrist. But God did.  It was as if God were whispering, Don’t forget your story.  Don’t lose the wonder.  See, I’ve had times in my life when I have forgotten the miracle of my story and the sheer wonder of all God has done in my life. How He sought me and saved me. How He pulled a little girl from a difficult home situation with many heart wounds and placed her in a family of believers with many healed hurts. How He took an insecure teenager and transformed her into a woman who knows she’s equipped by the Father, enveloped by Jesus and empowered by the Holy Spirit.  But sometimes the truth slips right out of my mind somewhere between everyday challenges and difficult disappointments, just like that bracelet slipped right off my wrist between Chick-fil-A and Dunkin' Donuts and I don’t even realize it.  I wonder if that’s why the word “remember” is a golden thread that weaves its way throughout the Bible. From Genesis to Revelation, God reminds us to remember.  In Deuteronomy, Moses wrote, “take care lest you forget the LORD, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery” (Deuteronomy 6:12, ESV).

David wrote, “I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done” (Psalm 143:5).

Remember. Don’t forget.  In the New Testament, Peter is a good example of a man who forgot his story. Jesus called Peter to become one of His first followers. Jesus was on the shore; Peter was in a boat. (Matthew 4:18-22)  But when Jesus was arrested and Peter denied he even knew Him, Peter lost his story. (Matthew 26:69-75) Just as surely as the bracelet fell from my wrist in the grassy knoll, Peter’s story fell from his heart behind the stone wall of the high priest’s home.  After Jesus was resurrected, he went to help Peter find his story right where it had begun: on the Sea of Galilee. Jesus was on the shore; Peter was in a boat.nnPeter was fishing. He had gone back to doing what he’d always done before he met Jesus. Then Jesus called out and told Peter to throw the nets on the right side of the boat for a super catch. (John 21:6)  After Peter realized it was Jesus, he swam to the shore, where Jesus already had breakfast waiting. There, Jesus reminded Peter of his calling and helped him remember his story, what he had been (a fisherman) and what he was now (a fisher of men). (John 21:12-19)

I don’t know where you are today, if you’ve lost your story or you’re celebrating it. But I do know this: You’re reading these words because God is calling you to remember.

Remember that you have a place in His story of salvation.
Remember that, through faith, you are equipped by the Father, enveloped by Jesus and empowered by the Holy Spirit.
Remember that you are a child of God who is dearly loved, completely forgiven and blamelessly free.

Remember what He has done in you and for you.

Remember your story. Remember His.

After I found my story bracelet lying among the weeds, I placed it on my wrist, gave it a squeeze to tighten its fit, and thanked God for all He has done. This is my story. This is my song. Praising my Savior all the day long.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
Trusting God in the Midst of Uncertainty
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 10:35:24 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/12/06/trusting-god-in-the-midst-of-uncertainty?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=236028556&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9RvriMQtNVpAOV81V4nR0X8oz2TOjYNjNnG7RlMhpdYBK-d3XGZhqFBWhUNFf7z_QfpeeXzHzG_CC2gtwPj-59tyIByQ&utm_content=236028556&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

5Trusting God in the Midst of Uncertainty
December 6, 2022
by Alice Matagora

“I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago. I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.” Psalm 77:11-12 (NIV)

It was 3 a.m. and I was wide awake. No, the trouble wasn’t my newborn; she was sleeping blissfully in her room. It was an old companion of mine anxiety.  About a month earlier my husband and I had made some significant decisions with our work, decisions that we felt were clearly led by God and that, at the same time, we knew could result in us being asked to step down from our current roles and even relocating. For two weeks, we saw a possible path forward that would ensure our job security and we prayed persistently for God to make it happen.  Then we received word that the way was shut.  God, what now?

Will we lose our jobs?

What if we have to move?

Why let us hope at all if You knew the answer would be no?

Did we hear from You right, Lord?

Sometimes I wonder if Mary the mother of Jesus had thoughts like these after saying "yes" to carrying the Son of God. It’s easy for me to read through Mary’s encounter with the angel Gabriel who told her God had chosen her, a virgin, to give birth to Jesus  without a second thought. I know the rest of her story. I forget Mary didn’t know what was next when she said, “May your word to me be fulfilled” (Luke 1:38b, NIV).

What if Joseph, her fiance, would divorce her? Would Mary lose any hope of financial and social security in a husband?

What if Joseph would be dishonorable and accuse her of sexual sin she never committed? Who would believe her, and would she ever get married as a seemingly “shameful” woman?

Did she ever doubt along the way to the cross, when it seemed darkness would prevail as her son was crucified?

Did Mary ever wonder, God, what now?

Did I hear from You right, Lord?

Here’s what I think:  My baby is going through a wonderful (and stressful) season of stranger anxiety that involves screaming whenever someone unfamiliar holds her. This happened recently as her pediatrician examined her at a routine checkup. But then I reached for her hand and murmured words of comfort and she stopped crying and bravely endured through the rest of her checkup, never taking her eyes off me.  In the few months she’s been alive, my baby girl has already experienced my faithfulness to respond to her needs, to comfort her when she cries and to protect her from harm. Even while being held by a stranger in a new environment, she could persevere because she knew her mama was with her and she is convinced her mama is good.  In the same way, I wonder if Mary was able to trust God because she could recall His faithfulness in her life. She said, “the Mighty One has done great things for me …” (Luke 1:49, NIV).

Perhaps as a result of her experiences of His faithfulness, she knew God was with her and was convinced her God was good, and that gave her all the courage she needed to persevere in the midst of incredible uncertainty.  Throughout the Bible, God calls His people over and over again to remember His faithfulness in their lives. And it’s no wonder because we are so prone to forget! I am so prone to forget.  But when uncertainty causes us to doubt, may we be women who pause to remember the goodness of God in our lives; who draw strength from His Word; and who remain steadfast in Immanuel, God with us, who always has been and always will be on our side.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
A Reason To Celebrate All Year
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 10:40:57 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/12/07/a-reason-to-celebrate-all-year?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=236027786&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8-ETfByCAruoJiTMzYsaFkOiMiqTTDRxXBE3RP7lRbS40UbvwJmtcEKQpcEbhdCcS1Y51uPv0FNkyGB9HnSAeZeW6F0w&utm_content=236027786&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

A Reason To Celebrate All Year
December 7, 2022
by Laura Bailey

“She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” Matthew 1:21 (NIV)

I watched my little girl float between her party guests before she took a deep breath to blow out the candles on her cake. Through the smoke of extinguished flames, she whispered, “I wished I could celebrate my birthday every day!”

Returning her grin, I replied, “Wouldn’t that be something? But you might grow tired of celebrating your birthday every day.”

She paused for just a beat before exclaiming, “Well, we already have something to celebrate every day Jesus!”

Only a few months had passed since Christmas. My husband and I made it a point to tell our girls that, although we celebrate Jesus' birth on December 25, this, along with His death and resurrection, is reason to celebrate Him all year long.  I've spent many past Christmas seasons consuming Advent devotions and attending Christ-focused celebrations. However, when the party is over, the excitement over God's great gift to humankind soon wanes.  Numerous times I’ve brushed over the words from our key verse, neglecting to ponder their significance: “She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins” (Matthew 1:21).

The Greek name for Jesus comes from the same origins as the Hebrew name Joshua, which means “Yahweh saves.” Yes, Jesus' birth is something to celebrate because God sent His only Son into the world to be our Savior.  We need not dampen our excitement for exchanging presents, swapping cookies or trimming the tree during the holiday season; what we do need is to keep our hearts and minds on Jesus not just at Christmas but throughout the year. Here are a few ideas of how we can continue to celebrate the gift of Jesus year-round.

1.  Grab a mini artificial Christmas tree, and place it somewhere you will see it frequently. Don’t take it down after Christmas! Trim your tree with Bible verses of encouragement and reminders of God’s love and forgiveness.

2.  Set a reminder on your phone to play your favorite worship song on the 25th day of every month. Lift your voice in praise and gratitude for God’s continual gift of salvation.

3.  Host a “Christmas in July” celebration, and invite someone who doesn’t know the Lord. Talk with them about why you celebrate, sharing with them your testimony and what God has done in your life.

4.  Keep bags filled with nonperishable food items, toiletries and a Bible in your car so that if you see someone in need, you can provide them with a “Christmas gift.” Invite them to church or share about the gift of salvation if you feel led.

God has given us good reason to celebrate: the birth, death and resurrection of His Son, Jesus Christ. Not only is salvation a free gift from God but it's also freeing, for it is the only gift that provides everlasting hope and eternal life.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
Walking Counts When It’s Hard To Run Your Race
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2023, 01:51:01 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/12/21/walking-counts-when-its-hard-to-run-your-race?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=237560722&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9M_DJMRTaKHOvqov1oQDXzPeCNb3MuG_Egdcfkj4ybzqoV7BjvI3329UW5_Tj4tKYIs6j0cmVNRcK4DtVUw83B_Gt4sg&utm_content=237560722&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Walking Counts When It’s Hard To Run Your Race
December 21, 2022
by Kia Stephens

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us …” Hebrews 12:1 (NIV)

Everything about me looked like I was a serious runner.  Leggings, earbuds and my cellphone armband communicated to all onlookers that I was in the habit of exercising regularly. The elastic in my pants firmed up my otherwise wiggly cellulite, making me appear more toned. I felt good, looked the part and had a bright idea: Why not run today instead of walk?

The sun beamed on my face, the morning air was refreshing, and the songs on my playlist made me feel alive as I jogged to the beat. I was a runner at least until my body began to tell me otherwise.  Initially, it was a subtle change: My legs started to ache, my skin started to itch, and my breathing became uncontrolled. Soon, I was completely out of breath and aching all over. Everything in me wanted to quit, but quitting was not an option. I had a self-imposed goal to run my entire route.  I did not want to break the commitment I made with myself, but my ambitions were more than I was capable of achieving that day. Reluctantly, I gave myself permission to alternate between running for as long as I could and walking when I needed a break.  Sometimes we need to offer ourselves this same type of grace in our faith race.  There are seasons in our lives when we look and feel spiritually strong. We faithfully have daily quiet time, attend Sunday services, forgive quickly, serve in multiple ways, adhere to spiritual disciplines and fellowship with others.  Then we experience unexpected obstacles we must overcome that leave us exhausted, out of breath and ready to give up. The author of Hebrews offers us encouragement for those seasons in our lives.  Hebrews 12:1 says, “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us …”

This scripture comes after spiritual “giants” Abraham, Sarah, David, Samuel and countless others are commended for their faith. These people are the spectators of our faith race and a part of the “great cloud of witnesses” referred to in Hebrews 12. Because of the foundation they laid for us, the author of Hebrews says we can “throw off everything that hinders” and “run with perseverance the race marked out for us.”

My faith race this year has been one filled with many challenges. I wish I could say I immediately threw off my hindrances, sins and the things that entangled me, but there have been times when all I could do was just keep moving forward.  Hebrews 12:1 tells us quitting is not an option. Instead of quitting, we must learn to give ourselves grace.  I opted to run my faith race for as long as I could and to walk when I needed to. Walking does not equate to failure. It simply gives us the grace we need to persevere.  Walking may mean that for a season …

1.  We are intentional about resting more and serving less.
2.  We spend time with God instead of doing things for God.
3.  We pray prayers that are filled with more tears than words.

I am convinced walking will not disqualify us. God doesn’t ask us to sprint at top speed through our faith race; He asks us to persevere. God encourages us to choose a pace we can sustain over time. Sometimes this requires spiritually walking.  When we walk, we are still moving and believing in God, completing the race marked out for us and building up our endurance so we can eventually run again. Each of us has a God-appointed race only we can run. When life gets hard (and we know it will), may we focus on Jesus and walk with perseverance until we can run the rest of the way.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2023, 02:32:04 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/12/22/what-do-i-do-with-all-of-these-painful-memories-this-christmas-season?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=237560633&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_S6iOO-gzp132-c-gUQGIs-2EkcYQEBGtOlCXMHuYbJ6cp6v2y3RWz_nSeTY6cDz54PBDBsa0eiw11eUmyBoMjT__BhA&utm_content=237560633&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

What Do I Do With All of These Painful Memories This Christmas Season?
December 22, 2022
by Lysa TerKeurst

“Now grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift.” Ephesians 4:7 (CSB)

Do you ever find yourself defining life by “before” and “after” the deep hurt?

The horrific season. The conversation that stunned you. The shocking day of discovery. The relationship you hoped would go the distance, but it didn’t. The day your friend walked away. The hurtful conversation. The remark that seems to be branded on your soul. The day everything changed.  That marked moment in time. Life before. Life now. Is it even possible to move on from something like this?

I deeply understand this kind of defining devastation in such a personal way. I also know how the Christmas season can magnify all of that pain.  People who are no longer a part of our lives are missing from holiday traditions. Ornaments and photographs that should bring joy stir up feelings of grief instead. Memories that were once sweet now serve only to widen the chasm between what was and what is.  So what are we supposed to do with all of these mementos and memories?

The ones where there was some good there at one time, there were some beautiful things, and there are some good memories even if the good turned bad and an ending was absolutely necessary.  Do we go through our homes and throw everything out? Is there a way for us to walk away holding on to our integrity? Is there a way to let someone walk away from us without hating them? Is there any way for a bad goodbye to be a “good” bye still?

It’s interesting that the original phrase in the late 1500s was “God be with ye.” The contraction of that phrase was “Godbwye” which eventually became “goodbye.”  I’ve recently sat with the thought of goodbyes being more of a sending off with God rather than a slammed door, a contact deleted and a puddle of angst. Is it possible for a goodbye to be more than a good riddance with a huff of disgust?

I wonder. When Jesus watched the rich young ruler walk away, what was the look in His eyes? (Matthew 19:22)

I wonder. When Peter denied Jesus and abandoned Him just before Jesus went to the cross, what was the goodbye like?

A goodbye Jesus surely whispered through a busted-up body and a broken heart? (Mark 14:71-72)

I wonder what it was like when Judas, with a heart full of betrayal, kissed Jesus’ cheek, sold Him out and then ended his own life. (Matthew 26:47-49) How did Jesus say goodbye?

I’ll never really know on this side of eternity.  But I have a thought. I think Jesus said goodbye the same way He lived all the days before the hurt, betrayal, rejection and abandonment. While the relationships certainly changed, He didn’t let the goodbye change Him. He let people walk away without letting go of who He was. Even when people turned on Jesus, He didn’t let a goodbye turn Him into someone He was never meant to be.  And while I’ll be the first one to admit I’m nowhere close to the purity and perfection of Jesus, I also don’t want goodbyes in my life to make it look like I’ve never spent any time with Jesus at all.  I haven’t been great about this in the past. But I’d like to get better.  Friend, can I whisper something I’m learning?

Staying here, blaming that person and forever defining your life by what they did will only increase the pain. Worse, it will keep projecting out onto others. The more our pain consumes us, the more it will control us. And sadly, it’s those who least deserve to be hurt whom our unresolved pain will hurt the most.  We can’t edit reality to try to force healing. We can’t fake our way into being OK with what happened. But we can decide that the ones who hurt us don’t get to decide what we do with our memories. Our lives can be a graceful combination of beautiful and painful. We don’t have to put either definitive label on it — it can be both-and.  Maybe that’s part of what’s hard about moving on: the letting go. But what if it’s possible to let go of what we must but still carry with us what is beautiful and meaningful and true to us? And maybe this less-severe version of moving on is what will ease us to a place of forgiveness, allowing God’s grace for us to flow freely through us like today's key verse talks about. (Ephesians 4:7)  There’s been enough trauma. So because I don’t want anything else ripped or stripped away, I need to decide what stays and what goes.  This is what I need. This is what I want. I’d like a little more “God be with you” in my goodbyes.  Some of the memories of what happened will probably always be painful and not good at all. But the thought of “God be with you” has really stuck to something good in my heart. And it’s sneaking into my thoughts and my processing and even my conversations as Christmas is approaching.  And then the other night I literally just closed my eyes and pictured Jesus’ hands. I mentally started placing all the memories, one by one, into His strong, carpentry-calloused, nail-pierced, grace-gripped hands. I asked the Lord to help me whisper “God be with you” over each memory.  It didn’t settle everything yet. But it was a start, and I believe that Jesus is working in me and healing my heart.  I want this for you, too, however this translates within the context of your pain, those pictures, those memories, those times of togetherness.  This isn’t easy, sweet friend. But let's determine today that we don't want to let pain write our future.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2023, 11:30:28 AM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2022/12/29/planting-small-seeds-that-reap-big-rewards?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=237844368&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_-ZSP3F51zWzcK8X1bMeblkHTyKNujmN6jqLKCO_cxroIiTniglTU8udJ5-IeRJvd1BTksY0TO8thLpplMDKD_Q27sLg&utm_content=237844368&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Planting Small Seeds That Reap Big Rewards
December 29, 2022
by Lysa TerKeurst

“He told them another parable: ‘The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.'” Matthew 13:31-32 (NIV)

Isn’t it easy to overlook small opportunities to help others because we don’t think it would make a real difference?

Little acts of kindness, chances to help another person, will pass us right by if we’re not carefully paying attention.  These things might seem meaningless, but when we get to heaven, I think we will be surprised by what mattered the most. What actually changed the world. What fulfilled the purposes for which we were created. The small places we showed up and served in obedience will prompt Jesus to say, “Well done. Remember when you took the time to share encouraging words with someone who needed them? That’s the day you helped change the world.”

That’s what I see in our key verses today, Matthew 13:31-32:  “He told them another parable: 'The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.’”

I keep reminding myself right now of this upside-down nature of God.  God has a pattern of taking what makes us feel less-than and using it for great things. And then the opposite is true as well. It’s those things that make us feel like we’re better than others that actually produce nothing significant at all. It seems, with Him, small is big, and big is small. The cheers of the crowds don’t mean much. The simple conversation where we helped someone means everything. Hundreds or thousands of people following us on social media isn’t the big influence we think it is. Being kind and gracious to that gal who works at the grocery store does more than we know. A donation given with a pure and generous heart is a massive gift for the Kingdom. A million dollars given with a hidden agenda and a desire for recognition is a tiny gift for the Kingdom.  God has the most beautiful, powerful ability to take the little we have, offered to Him in obedience, and magnify it for His glory in a big way.  I also know when you feel unseen, unheard and unnoticed, it can feel incredibly hard to muster up encouraging words for others. However, no matter what we may be facing, we have an opportunity not to overlook the small, mustard-seed opportunities where we can invest in others in heaven today.  Here’s what I want you to try with me:

If you feel unseen, help one person feel seen by reminding them how uniquely beautiful and gifted they are today.
    If you feel unheard, help one person feel heard by holding space to listen when they're speaking to you, and prayerfully ask God how you can encourage them.
    If you feel unnoticed, help one person feel noticed by honoring the amazing little things they do every single day to make the world a better place.

And why do all of this? Because I’ve found as we purposefully ease the ache in others, we will see it is beautifully eased in us. The unseen ache. The unheard ache. The unnoticed ache. We want to live in a better world, right? So let’s make a decision today to contribute to making it better. Let’s vow to bring heaven to earth with the loving words we say and the moments we cultivate that bring laughter.

It doesn’t have to be big to be significant. We can show up, listen and lean in. We can pray. We don’t have to push or prove or earn anything. We can plan something joyful. We can plan for some moments that matter. We can plan to do something for another person that will simply be kind and honor God.

The next big step God wants us to take may appear small by the world’s standards:

Loving our next-door neighbor who lives alone …
Spending extra time with our child when we’re exhausted …
Going the extra mile for someone who can’t repay us …
Choosing to stay obediently in a commitment that isn’t going how we thought it would …
Giving our all in something we want to quit …

And sometimes God is inviting us to be a part of great things He is doing all around us, but we may miss the invitation because of its appearance of smallness or insignificance. We may never know what that next step is if we don’t “listen for GOD’s voice in everything [we] do, everywhere [we] go,” as Proverbs 3:6 (MSG) instructs us.

Each day we can look for His invitation to leave our plans behind to join Him in His wondrous work through small steps of obedience.  Let’s start with the people right in front of us today. And watch how God turns something small into something big and beautiful in His timing.  I believe we have the opportunity to do something eternally significant every single day let’s not allow today to pass us by.

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2023, 02:37:38 PM »
https://proverbs31.org/read/devotions/full-post/2023/01/11/reject-the-lie-that-you-arent-good-enough?utm_campaign=Daily%20Devotions&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=240603973&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--GiDTdBEDJ3he5JxOBKP0gnmwQ5SKhMAN0UoJ1V6QPNkZ7A4Dl2Ow-SqOYO7hMqU93JeGjjA129UunbkXYlT0ZBQRMag&utm_content=240603973&utm_source=hs_email#disqus_thread

Reject the Lie That You Aren?t Good Enough
January 11, 2023
by Nona Jones

?As long as the son of Jesse lives on this earth, neither you nor your kingdom will be established. Now send someone to bring him to me, for he must die!? 1 Samuel 20:31 (NIV)

We?ve all been there feeling like we?re not good enough because no matter how hard we try, someone else is doing better and achieving more.  Behind the forced smile, we secretly feel like their success is our failure because we believe we don?t measure up in comparison.  You know the feeling. At work, your boss told everyone, ?Amanda broke the sales record again!?

Your stomach turned because yet again you wondered, Why can?t I ever beat Amanda?

Or maybe you were scrolling through social media when you saw Jennifer away on another exotic vacation with Stanley. You looked at your husband and thought, Why am I not worth a nice trip somewhere?

Or maybe you were so excited about the launch of your new podcast until your college roommate hit 100,000 subscribers on hers. As you closed your laptop, you thought to yourself, What's the point? I'll never have that many subscribers.  The Bible story of King Saul?s jealousy toward David hinges on this same line of thinking.

Saul was the reigning king of Israel appointed by God after the Israelites demanded that God give them a king. However, Saul felt less-than in comparison to David because people approved of David more than him. The people sang in 1 Samuel 18:7, ?Saul has slain his thousands, and David his tens of thousands? (NIV), a song that set Saul on a murderous rampage against David.

But there is a third person in this story Jonathan, Saul?s son and supposed heir to the throne. He was also David?s best friend. As a matter of fact, just three verses before Saul?s jealousy was triggered against David, Jonathan gave David his robe and weapons in a display of love and friendship. (1 Samuel 18:4)  Jonathan had an entirely different reaction to the people?s approval of David. Instead of seeing the people?s approval of someone else as an indictment against himself, Jonathan celebrated David. Here?s why this is so crucial.  Saul believed it was because of David?s popularity that his kingship and Jonathan?s future kingship were less secure. This is why, in response to Jonathan?s encouragement not to harm David, Saul angrily turned to his son and said, ?As long as the son of Jesse [David] lives on this earth, neither you nor your kingdom will be established. Now send someone to bring him to me, for he must die!? (1 Samuel 20:31).

Saul forgot that it was God alone who had put him on his throne, and it would be God who would remove him and set the next king (who turned out to be David) on the throne.  But Jonathan didn?t secure his identity in being king; he secured his identity in who God said he was and in God?s power to win battles on His people?s behalf. Jonathan wasn?t threatened by David because he believed that ?nothing can hinder the LORD from saving, whether by many or by few? (1 Samuel 14:6c, NIV).

Ultimately, he trusted God to exalt and humble whom He wished, whether that included God granting him kingship or not.  When you start to spiral into thoughts like Why wasn?t I invited? or Why her instead of me? or Why can?t I ever be good enough? ask yourself a more important question: Why does it matter?

Killing toxic comparison requires changing what we believe about ourselves. The question Why does it matter? helps us uncover what we believe about ourselves. Not being invited matters because we believe we're not worthy, and for those of us struggling with that, not being invited serves as perceived proof that we're not worthy.  But what if we learn to reframe the things that trigger our insecurity so instead of making us feel unworthy, they draw us closer to God?

Like Jonathan, we need to reframe other people?s success as an opportunity to celebrate what God is doing in their lives without comparing it to what God is doing in our lives.