Author Topic: Mothers who experienced discrimination in Britain’s family courts speak out ....  (Read 561 times)

Forgotten Mother

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Soul of Adoption
https://researchingreform.net/2023/03/22/mothers-who-experienced-discrimination-in-britains-family-courts-speak-out-in-upcoming-conference/

Mothers who experienced discrimination in Britain’s family courts speak out in upcoming conference

22 Wednesday Mar 2023

Posted by Natasha in Researching Reform   

Disabled mothers, working-class mothers and mothers of colour will talk about the discrimination and hostility they faced by social workers and family law professionals at an event taking place on Thursday 23rd March, 2023.

The conference, which will be held in-person and online, is a Women’s History Month event organised with the University of East Anglia Students’ Union and hosted by the Disabled Mothers’ Rights campaign. The event will take place on 23rd March at 6 PM UK time.

The press release for the event said:

The Disabled Mothers’ Rights Campaign, together with the Support Not Separation (SNS) coalition, worked with Channel 5 News for a feature and research about disabled parents, mostly mothers.  It was broadcast on 25 January 2023.

We will watch these videos:

Channel 5 News – Disabled mothers’ struggle against discrimination (10 mins)
    Fighting forced adoption — Jean Eveleigh and Tye aged 19 (47 mins) video

Jean and her child Tye gave an emotional interview about the forced adoption they suffered.  They reunited after 17 years apart. Jean says: “Time was stolen from us.”  Tye says: “I could have had her growing up.  I could have had someone that fought for me relentlessly.  And I didn’t get that.  And I should have.”

There will also be a live Q&A on Zoom with the Disabled Mothers’ Rights Campaign and Support Not Separation.

To attend the event at the university, you will need to go to: Room 6, Union House, University of East Anglia campus, Norwich NR4 7TJ  Book here — student login needed. Map

The Zoom link for those who wish to attend online can be accessed here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87950019435?pwd=cmRUVW13anlPV3RLYVBYZXVYMXNNQT09

Meeting ID: 879 5001 9435

Passcode: 986425

Many thanks to SNS for sharing this event with Researching Reform.